Menu

Question about word processing software for Mac users....

I'm anxiously awaiting the delivery of my new Mac (next week!), and have a question about word processing software. Dh says he thinks the Mac doesn't come preloaded with word processing software. Is this correct? If so, what have you purchased to use? Dh suggested Microsoft Office 2008 for Mac. Suggestions? Comments?

Help!

Ria

Congratulations! You'lll love your new mac! Mac does not come preloaded with wp software, as far as I know. I my mac with ordered iWork (wp, spreadsheet, and slide show -- $79) preinstalled.

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MB624Z/A?fnode=MTY1NDAzOA&mco=MTUzODUyOA

But I had trouble sharing files via email. iWork can read my ms files, but ms could not always read my iWork files. So I bit the bullet and bought MS Office for Mac $$$$$. Note that the the mac version does not come with Access or Publisher. But it does work flawlessly.

I also got the 3 year support option for mac and find it very helpful -- the mac has no problems, but sometimes I have some dumb questions.

I also got iWorks with my Mac. You can export any iWorks pages (word processing) document as a word, pdf, or rtf document so you shouldn't have any trouble sharing documents. You can also download neo office free from the internet so that your mac can read any document sent to you. Easy peasy.

I love my Mac!!

I have Microsoft office with word. It's nice to have since I knew how to use it.

I have NeoOffice which can convert a lot of files and the learning curve isn't too bad to use.

I know there are other free types of office things too(exact name of one is escaping me). there is a mac download site

http://www.cooloxsapps.net

that I like to find neat stuff to use. and you can spend so much time there trying it all, lol. but googling should also find some freeware to use. Or call the Apple store/customer service to see what is new!

Thanks everyone! I decided to go with iWorks 08. It looks good. I appreciate your help!

Ria

Ria - i really like Pages in iWork but if you need to share Word documents with others, Pages will render them well but not perfectly. same with using the free NeoOffice; it's close but no cigar. (also, NeoOffice takes forever to open though that has gotten better in the last year.) plus, iWork may not include Bento, the spreadsheet program. that might have to be purchased separately.

if you do find you need Word compatibility and Excel capability, Office 2004 Home & Student edition is fine. since Office 2008 is out you might be able to find 2004 at a better price.

My iWorks (bought in July) included Pages (word processing), Numbers (spreadsheet), and Keynote (presentations).

I've had good luck converting Pages documents to Word documents, as long as they're just text. It doesn't like borders, or images, or little doo-dads.

ah! you're right! i was confusing Bento with Numbers. Bento is for contact management which most of us could do without.

and yes, it is the enhancements in Word documents that Pages doesn't do well. unfortunately, i find few people use text only documents these days; we've gotten so adept at the visuals.