Menu

Spielvogel The Human Odyssey, which one ?

On Amazon there are 2 of these:

1)

Hardcover: 1121 pages

Publisher: McGraw-Hill/Glencoe; 1 edition (July 10, 1997)

Language: English

ISBN-10: 0314205616

2)

Hardcover: 1125 pages

Publisher: National Textbook Company (December 1999)

ISBN-10: 0538423293

I also found a teacher's book:

Hardcover: 1121 pages

Publisher: Glencoe/Mcgraw-Hill; Teacher edition (July 30, 1997)

ISBN-10: 0314205624

The teacher's book has the same cover as the 1999 book, but I found it together with the 1997 book. I am confused ! Which one would I want?

I don't really have the answer as to which one to get, but here's some further info to ponder...

I have the 1999 edition, which cost me about $5. Your post about a teacher's edition made me wonder - I looked and it appears that the teacher's edition to the 1999 edition is this one (different than the 1997 one you listed): ISBN 053843032X

Which I can't find anywhere for under about $40. That is annoying.

I was thinking of doing what someone else here suggested and reading the K12 aloud and having the older kids read the corresponding Spielvogel chapters and answer some of the questions as "homework".

Does anyone think I'd need the teacher's guide? I hadn't thought about it, but does it have the answers to the section/chapter review questions? That could be useful (but $40 useful??) What else could be in there that would make it worth spending $40?

Oh, and other possibly useful information: in my searching I found this: Map Workbook: Exploring the World: To Accompany World History: The Human Odyssey, ISBN: 031414174X

I don't really have the answer as to which one to get, but here's some further info to ponder...

I have the 1999 edition, which cost me about $5. Your post about a teacher's edition made me wonder - I looked and it appears that the teacher's edition to the 1999 edition is this one (different than the 1997 one you listed): ISBN 053843032X

Which I can't find anywhere for under about $40. That is annoying.

I was thinking of doing what someone else here suggested and reading the K12 aloud and having the older kids read the corresponding Spielvogel chapters and answer some of the questions as "homework".

Does anyone think I'd need the teacher's guide? I hadn't thought about it, but does it have the answers to the section/chapter review questions? That could be useful (but $40 useful??) What else could be in there that would make it worth spending $40?

Oh, and other possibly useful information: in my searching I found this: Map Workbook: Exploring the World: To Accompany World History: The Human Odyssey, ISBN: 031414174X

I think I am going to get the 1999 book as that is what I see referenced here a lot. So you are going to use K12's HO with your middle schoolers? I still haven't decided what we would use for that age group yet.

So you are going to use K12's HO with your middle schoolers? I still haven't decided what we would use for that age group yet.

Yes, along with supplementary reading and such. We love history here. :)

I don't envy you trying to cover so many different age groups! I do have to say that the two HOs line up pretty well in what they cover, at least for the first volume (if you were trying to get different age groups on the same topic or something). Things seem to presented in a bit different order in the next volume.

Are you planning on getting the HO teacher's guide? Have you used teacher's guides for texts like that before? What's in them? $40 seems steep to me...

Yes, I am thinking of both the K12 HO and Spielvogel one. I haven't used the TE books before and I am not sure if I will bother getting it or not. I am still inthe thinking stage. We have been using TOG and I am trying to decide if I want to stick with it or try it on my own. I am also considering MFW for K-8 and Omnibus for high school.

• 3 weeks later...

Honestly? I thought I wanted a teacher's guide so I got a set (it even has the Texas achievement test objectives - talk about distracting!). We used the questions for awhile but then decided they weren't relevant.

SO - honestly - I would get the cheapest copy you can get. :) Other than the last 10-20 years, you won't be missing too much and you can easily supplement that with the wealth of information on the internet alone. Plus your student will spend about 15 minutes on that time period, in the whole scheme of things :) Really I would go for sturdy and tight bindings over current edition.

Hi Jean, I have the 1999 student text and teacher's manual. I did find the TM very useful if you want to dig deeper. I really like the discussion ?'s and extra assignments, many of which are writing. I still have to read the chapters though if I want to discuss it, because the answers in the TM just barely scrape the surface.

It also has the answers to the chapter reviews which I use as a test.