Menu

To hyphen or not to hyphen...what do you think?

I saw a headline on my local news station that read "Swearing in Ceremony in Sullivan." Of course, the first thing that came to mind is, "those vulgar so-and-so's! It's a ceremony, for Pete's sake!"

Actually, it was reporting a swearing-in ceremony for judges in the area. I had always seen, when people are being sworn in to an office, a hyphen in between the words--lest one think all these officials are pottymouths. But after doing a search, I have noticed that both versions are used.

Which is correct?

I think it needs a hyphen too. As you noticed, the meaning isn't clear without it (I'd argue the meaning actually changes.). You need it to join 2 or more adjectives that are describing a noun. (You wouldn't call this a swearing ceremony or an in ceremony--so you need the hyphen).

I swear!

Merry :-)

Funny, but recently my father, wife and I gathered around while I read from the late great H.W. Fowler's Modern English Usage entry on the proper (in his highly opinionated mind) use of the hyphen.

I found it incredibly amusing.

But it did set off a family dispute as my wife (the American Lit./English major) and my father are both of the hyphenate only when necessary school of thought, and I'm of the hyphenate-whenever-possible bent.

If you've never read Modern English Usage I can recommend it as either one of the most boring books ever written, or an absolute joy!

Needless-to-say I'd go for swearing-in, but I'm a crusty old pendant :D

Bill

ooh! a hyper-hyphenator! :D

I agree that a hyphen is in order. i also hyphenate 'homeschool co-op' so i don't read it as a homeschool chicken coop ;)

I love that The New Yorker (that national treasure of a magazine :D) uses an umlaut when spelling words such as coöperate and coöp.

Bill