Menu

Need history recommendations for 8th grade...

We are pulling our dd13 out of middle school mid year; I know she has been doing "social studies" in school but I have not kept up with what they have been doing. It's not anything like a WTM history rotation, though. It has been more of a Prentice-Hall type mish-mash (I'm not sure what book they have been using. This is really embarrassing to admit, I can't believe I have not paid more attention).

I am doing CHOW, a chapter a day, with my 3rd grader, and we are adding in activities. We are focusing on ancients for now.

For my 8th grader, should I just add Sonlight books? Do I even need a spine? Should I get some Teaching Company DVDs? History is a subject that we all enjoy, and I don't want to make it dull. I'd like some solution for the next few months and then maybe we can all get on the same history track this fall and be more coordinated.

Well, what about a semester of world geography? We used Mapping the World by Heart in the middle school years, along with lots of missionary biographies and hands-on activities. It was a great, great year and laid a wonderful foundation for future study in history and current events. You could do world geography and then start the 4-yr rotation in 9th grade.

Just a thought. 'Cuz I'd hate to start ancients mid-stream. But that's me.

Lisa

Just my opinion, but I'd focus on making the transition from school to home for the rest of this school year, and on getting those "3 Rs" of language arts/math down solid. I'd just fold the 8th grade in with ancients right where you are now to make that easy, and add historical fiction books and non-fiction books from the library at the 8th grader's level, and enjoy some films together as a family! Warmest regards, Lori D.

We did American History, specifically All-American History, which is for middle school/jr high. The text is okay and works well as a spine, and the TM has reading lists, extra projects (the workbook also includes extra projects if you choose to do the workbook--my 13 yo hates history, so the workbook was good for us because we can show she did some history, but I can give her essays in other subjects instead. High school will be different and she'll have to write essays in history.)

My dd didn't do tons of extra reading, but my 10 yo did. There are reading lists for different grade groups (middle school/high school lists), too, so you can tailor it to your situation.

Well, what about a semester of world geography?

This is what I was thinking, too. I use My Father's World, and am looking forward to doing "Exploring Countries and Cultures" just before high school for a really good foundation in the world (using the 7th & 8th grade extras). It would also fit the bill for a gentle transition to homeschool, as someone else mentioned.

Julie

Thank you for your input (and if you wish, keep the info coming!). I'm still not sure what to do and want to mull it over for a few more days. I have to get some minor surgery next week so we'll be starting up a bit later and slowly, so I am not in a huge rush to decide. What would you think if I just pull in the history portion of Lively Latin and call that history? (Even if I'm not sure we will be using Lively Latin). I'm usually not this indecisive.

http://www.amazon.com/Little-History-World-E-Gombrich/dp/030014332X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1230873340&sr=1-1 the best little history book for young people of your dd's age. We used this as a bridge year fill in between Bauer's The Story of the World series and JMRoberts History of the World. It is just lovely in every way and a great overview before going in depth with Ancients. Dd's godfather bought it for her and we have just been enthralled and thus , trying to pass the word out there regarding this terrific little overview.

Hey there,

Our library system has some of the TT videos, at least that's what I think I remember. Also, how about some historical fiction. I just love getting online and requesting all the books/cds that I want and going by to pick them up. Our library has some SWB books and cds, some Jim Wise cds, ....

Also, remember that you can have your daughter read to your 3rd grader, if she's willing. For some books to help her remember some math...The Cindy Neuschwander books...including her's about Sir Cumference. They are great...they talk about Pi...etc... And, Greg Tang books are good, too. Our library...has all of these.

Anyway, maybe just spend the rest of the year reading what she wants...(within your guidelines) and listening to cds? I've found that my daughter will listen to cds if she's doing something like crocheting.

And, studying some Maps for a light course in Geography and maybe memorizing the timeline? I'm SO excited to be at least trying...to memorize the timeline this year. (We're memorizing the Veritas Press timeline.)

Carrie:-)

http://www.amazon.com/Little-History-World-E-Gombrich/dp/030014332X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1230873340&sr=1-1 the best little history book for young people of your dd's age. We used this as a bridge year fill in between Bauer's The Story of the World series and JMRoberts History of the World. It is just lovely in every way and a great overview before going in depth with Ancients. Dd's godfather bought it for her and we have just been enthralled and thus , trying to pass the word out there regarding this terrific little overview.

Elizabeth, this seems like the perfect thing for us to use for the rest of the year. I am getting the audio version from Audible. I can supplement it with Sonlight books. Thank you so much!

Dana