Menu

(x-post with high school board) Please recommend a math program!

cathmom

What math program would you recommend for my dd?

She is just finishing up Saxon 54. She is 12 and would be in 7th grade. This summer she was diagnosed with dyslexia and dysgraphia. The tester recommended teaching her how to use a calculator, which I have done. She is behind in math mainly because of the difficulty in memorizing that dyslexia causes. I have begun to emphasize the concepts and not let the computation hold her back. She does not like math but does not actively hate it either.

My oldest son used Saxon through the end of Advanced Math He found it very difficult to do on his own and we ended up having to hire a math tutor. So I already have all the Saxon books and DIVE CDs, but I want to use the program that is the right fit for her. I don’t think that the minute, incremental way that Saxon breaks things down leads to conceptual understanding. Also, because of the dysgraphia, I prefer something that doesn’t have a lot of writing or recopying of problems, but that isn’t too big a concern with a math program.

Which programs should I examine? Teaching Textbooks is already on my list. Thanks!

My son is 12 yo and has dyslexia and ADD. He is actually quite good at math but has a terrible time memorizing facts and formulas. Singapore and MUS worked well for him. He also did extremely well with Jacobs Algebra and is currently doing well with Jacobs Geometry.

The only other one I have had success with besides TT is MUS. With MUS you would just need to figure out what level she would be at - multiplication, division, fractions, pre-algebra, etc.

At the Pre-Algebra level of TT though you do have to write out all your math problems, not sure about prior to that level though since our daughter began TT at Pre-Algebra.

T

MUS doesn't go up through high school math does it? I guess I didn't make it clear that I am looking for a high school math program for her.

Right now, Math-U-See goes through Precalculus, and someone posted on the high school board the other day an announcement that MUS will put out a Calculus text next year.

My 14yo son has been using Teaching Textbooks, but I just purchased Chalkdust for him, as he would rather see the teacher than hear a disembodied voice.

We'll see how it goes once it arrives! (I figure that I'll give it a whirl. If he doesn't like it, he can continue with TT and I'll then have Chalkdust to use with my 9yo son when he's ready, because he's my math and science boy!)

• 2 weeks later...

I am using TT with my son age 11 who has dysgraphia. He is doing a lot of the math in his head then he answers the solution into the computer to see if it is right. There is good space on the page to write out operations or you can use scrap paper.

Son loves this independent type learning this year which makes me happy. I had used MUS since K grade and I do love that program but DS got bored with the format after 6 years. I am happy to have him learn directly from the lectures on the computer.

A friend of mine with a 12 year old switched to VideoText this year and her DS likes it.