Menu

Homophones

SunshineMom

My 5dd is facinated with homophones (words that are pronounced the same but have different meanings and spellings such as bear vs bare). She is not reading them and then asking, she is out of thin air asking if words are spelled different such as dear/deer, flower/flour, pea/pee, bear/bare, etc. I am not seeking this information from her and I simply spell the differences on our little chalkboard. I guess I just find it a little strange considering her age. Anyone else have a kiddo doing this?

My son loved homophones around that age, too. Here's one book they might like:

How Much Can a Bare Bear Bear? by Brian Clearly

Something about his grammar books appealed to my son. Even though he was older when the above came out, he still enjoyed it.

Yup, he still chuckles at homophones. I guess he started with word play around 3.5-4 and hasn't stopped yet. FWIW, I think this early understanding is the reason he loves Gary Larsen's FarSide cartoons. He understands the more subtle humor that kids his age don't yet get.

Have fun!

Those from New Jersey and such...do you consider "Bare" and "Bear" homophones? You have to be there to realize that they aren't said the same, everywhere. I grew up in TX and when I went to New Jersey, people were constantly telling me that I said my name incorrectly. :-) My name is "Carrie" and they would say..."Is that Kerry? or Carrie??" Before moving there...I had no idea I said my name incorrectly:-) (To say it like in NJ, if I wanted them to "know" my name...I had to almost blow out the "Ca" part of my name...hard to explain.)

BUT, I do remember when my dad use to say, "Carrie Berry" my mom would say that those two words didn't sound the same.

Carrie:-)

Those from New Jersey and such...do you consider "Bare" and "Bear" homophones? You have to be there to realize that they aren't said the same, everywhere. I grew up in TX and when I went to New Jersey, people were constantly telling me that I said my name incorrectly. :-) My name is "Carrie" and they would say..."Is that Kerry? or Carrie??" Before moving there...I had no idea I said my name incorrectly:-) (To say it like in NJ, if I wanted them to "know" my name...I had to almost blow out the "Ca" part of my name...hard to explain.)

BUT, I do remember when my dad use to say, "Carrie Berry" my mom would say that those two words didn't sound the same.

Carrie:-)

To me, bear and bare are homophones. I would pronounce Carrie as Kerry unless I was told how to pronounce it differently.

LOL, I worked with a girl from Chicago and her name was spelled "Merry" so everyone at work (this was in NYC) called her Merry (like Meh Ree) but she says its MARY, she and her parents consider Mary and Merry to be homophones! So I guess they say Merry Christmas and it comes out as Mary Christmas!

My son is 5 1/2. He's doing second grade language arts, and we recently learned about homophones. He LOVES it.

We have quite a few I Spy books. In one of them, you're supposed to find a bee on each page. I don't know how many times you can say 'I wonder where the BEE could BE?' in ten minutes, but he still chuckles every single time he says it. :D

Ah, the adorable life of a five-year-old who makes grammar jokes...

At dinner, he told me he made up a new joke. It goes like this:

Coffee makes you cough. E.

Well, it was funny to him. :lol:

ETA: I'm born and raised in Michigan. To me, Mary and Merry are homophones. Our children's librarian is Ms. Merry Jane, and it's pronounced 'Mary' Jane.

Edited by bethanyniez

To me, bear and bare are homophones. I would pronounce Carrie as Kerry unless I was told how to pronounce it differently.

LOL, I worked with a girl from Chicago and her name was spelled "Merry" so everyone at work (this was in NYC) called her Merry (like Meh Ree) but she says its MARY, she and her parents consider Mary and Merry to be homophones! So I guess they say Merry Christmas and it comes out as Mary Christmas!

Of course Mary and Merry are homophones ;)!!! And, where I come from, Mary and bury rhyme! Also, where I grew up leg and beg do NOT rhyme, although where I live now they do. Also, I had no idea that to many people shone and shown are homophones, because to us shone rhymes with on.

Homophones are a part of our everyday life here because our family makes so many puns (most of them NOT funny).