Menu

Amoeba Sisters new book

Here's the info from Amoeba Sisters on their upcoming biology book. They gave permission for me to share and said they'll get samples and more info on their website as soon as their publisher approves it. 

Thank you so much for your email! These are great questions. It will be an introductory book to biology - covering major topics taught in biology at the high school level (typically a 9th grade or 10th grade class in our area), and it is very much like our videos in the level of depth. Our video scripts are adapted and improved into this text format, and we are excited that it has over 500 pictures (illustrated by Sarina). Some of these topics are ones that students continue to see in college level biology as well (such as DNA replication and cell division), so we also think it will be useful for college students wanting to refresh on basics.

Here are the chapters with the concepts that it covers (which are styled very similar to the videos):

1. Biological Levels
  2. Biomolecules
  3. Enzymes
  4. Cell Basics and Organelles
  5. Cell Membranes
  6. Cell Transport
  7. Cellular Respiration
  8. Photosynthesis
  9. DNA
  10. DNA Replication
  11. The Cell Cycle
  12. Cell Division (focuses on Mitosis and Meiosis)
  13. Genetics (focuses on Mendelian and non-Mendelian)
  14. RNA and Protein Synthesis
  15. Mutations
  16. Biotechnology
  17. Evolution: Mechanisms and Evidence
  18. Viruses
  19. Domain Bacteria and Domain Archaea
  20. Domain Eukarya: Fungi, "Protists," Plants, and Animals
  21. Plants: Diversity, Structure, and Reproduction
  22. Ecology (focuses on multiple ecology topics such as ecological relationships, food webs/pyramids, ecological succession, and biogeochemical cycles)
  23. Body Systems Overview
  24. Homeostasis

After the chapters, there is a glossary of over 250 vocabulary words from the book with general, brief definitions.

Also, the following sections are at the end of each of the 24 chapters:

• "Something to Think About" section - it will often discuss why this content matters or how it connects to another piece of biology
  • "Stumbling Blocks" section - it addresses misconceptions that we've observed about the content (either in my teaching or from video comments)
  • "Before You Turn the Page" section - this lists what the student would want to make sure they can answer before moving to the next chapter

The 24 chapters represent the 24 major concepts that I (Brianna) taught in biology, and we think it provides an excellent foundation for biology. However, we only cover the essentials of each topic rather than providing a deep dive you might find in a textbook. For example, while our book mentions proteins can be involved in cell signaling, the different types of cell signaling that students would encounter in an advanced biology course (such as AP biology) are not covered. Just to add, our favorite textbook (which we recommend in the book, too) for exploring beyond is the free, peer-reviewed OpenStax biology textbook (no affiliation) based at Rice University. https://openstax.org/books/biology-2e/pages/1-introduction

We hope that answer might give some insight! Thank you so much for your interest in our book and the kind words about our videos!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I'm working on plans for a kid who will do well enough with the actual science but will not get through a textbook course like Miller Levine. 

The Amoeba Sisters book is on our shortlist with the Biozone NGSS worktext. Openstax would have to be in select portions. We want time for extra books, videos, and labs too. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, SilverMoon said:

Here's the info from Amoeba Sisters on their upcoming biology book. They gave permission for me to share and said they'll get samples and more info on their website as soon as their publisher approves it. 

Thank you for sharing! I'm still on the fence as if it is "enough" for a 9th grade introductory Biology course, if paired with labs. Obviously not an AP level course, but I'm not looking for AP level for 9th grade. (Thinkwell has an Honors/AP level I think, and I want to say I found another at that level as well...just need a 9th grade level)

We enjoyed many of their videos as part of Biology for a highly visual learner this year.  They were very informative and more science intensive than the Crash Course ones (in my opinion).  If the textbook is at the same level I think it would be an excellent Bio course for ninth grade.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/22/2024 at 4:59 PM, ktgrok said:

Thank you for sharing! I'm still on the fence as if it is "enough" for a 9th grade introductory Biology course, if paired with labs. Obviously not an AP level course, but I'm not looking for AP level for 9th grade. (Thinkwell has an Honors/AP level I think, and I want to say I found another at that level as well...just need a 9th grade level)

You should note that Thinkwell Honor sciences are  full college level classes.  TW modifies its college classes to align with the typical AP Class.

47 minutes ago, gstharr said:

You should note that Thinkwell Honor sciences are  full college level classes.  TW modifies its college classes to align with the typical AP Class.

Yeah, that has ruled them out. It is more than we want. 

Oh my gosh, finally. Thank you for posting that.

I have wanted to suggest them as a full program several times, but they are so hard to navigate. I have long thought they needed a central text.

• Like 2