Menu

8.5 yr old dd is already driving me crazy

She NEEDS a hobby. She spend all day yesterday at a friends house and I said no today to yet schlepping her to another house. Neither of these friends do the driving, we do. It's in the same neighborhood, but still I need to actually drive her there and back.

She's lazy. If it's too hard, she doesn't want to do it. Then if I give her a craft, it's done quickly and rather shabbily.

She needs to do something on her own, without always me helping her. We did cupcakes today w/her new cupcake maker (and yesterday), but for the most part she won't read the directions. She hates to read, and if it takes too much effort, she won't learn it. Basically she flits from one thing to another.

I can't always be the one to supply her every fun need, whether schlepping her around or playing.

Any advice? I'm tired and it's two days after Christmas. She desperatly needs that perfect hobby or hobbies to try, but we can't figure one out.

Would like to add--

Get some good, well illustrated craft books out of the library and have them near the supplies. I remember some of these that involved scrounged materials--The Make It Book and The Do It Book--that had very accessible illustrations. Some of the Waldorf-ish books are great, too.

Make sure that at least some of the craft supplies are pretty open ended--like many colors of tissue paper, and oil pastels, and many colors of dyed unspun wool. Those versatile supplies are what invokes the most creativity, I think.

My oldest was like this.

One thing that helped a lot was to arrange times throughout the day that I would do something with her. I would tell her she needed to play on her own until 10:00, then we would play XYZ. Afterwards, she had to play until 12:00, then we would have lunch. I did this all day long. For some reason, she would entertain herself fine if she knew there was a definite plan for the immediate future.

A craft that my kids would spend hours on is Perler beads.