Menu

Computer changing time zones

You should be able to change your settings so that you have to manually change the the time zone.

Is there some reason that isn't something weird about the computer that this could be happening, like that you are on the edge of the time zone?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, EKS said:

You should be able to change your settings so that you have to manually change the the time zone.

Is there some reason that isn't something weird about the computer that this could be happening, like that you are on the edge of the time zone?

Ok, I did that.  But no.  I am at home.  Nowhere near any time zone switch. 

12 minutes ago, Arcadia said:

Check your timezone setting. Are you using a windows laptop or MacBook? 

A Lenovo laptop.  It was on automatic.  I switched it to manual and central time zone so maybe it will stop.  But I will need to do automatic when we travel.  I just don't get.  It kept saying we were in Indiana... We left Indiana last Sunday. Arrived here on Monday. 

2 hours ago, TexasProud said:

My computer is driving me nuts.  It is changing back and forth between Texas (central) and Indiana (Eastern) time zones..  Like, 15 times a day... 

I'd check your settings.  are you need a border between zones? is it on your house wifi?  or something else.
My laptop won't change time zones (from PT to CT) unless I manually change it.  My phone, my watch . . instantly, but not my laptop.

if this is a today problem - there were warnings of a major solar storm today that would interfere with electronics.  

Just now, gardenmom5 said:

I'd check your settings.  are you need a border between zones? is it on your house wifi?  or something else.
My laptop won't change time zones (from PT to CT) unless I manually change it.  My phone, my watch . . instantly, but not my laptop.

if this is a today problem - there were warnings of a major solar storm today that would interfere with electronics.  

I am not in a border between zones.  I think I would have to drive 6 hours or more to change time zones. Not sure what you mean by our house wifi...  How could our wifi be on a different time zone?  It is a mifi hot spot thing hooked up to a router or something. 

20 minutes ago, TexasProud said:

I am not in a border between zones.  I think I would have to drive 6 hours or more to change time zones. Not sure what you mean by our house wifi...  How could our wifi be on a different time zone?  It is a mifi hot spot thing hooked up to a router or something. 

if it was on house wifi - or another source (e.g. there are communities who get their wifi/internet off satellites. - which could also be messed up by the solar storm.)

A mifi hotspot connects to a cell-tower to give you internet.  I'd look into the solar storm.

6 minutes ago, gardenmom5 said:

if it was on house wifi - or another source (e.g. there are communities who get their wifi/internet off satellites. - which could also be messed up by the solar storm.)

A mifi hotspot connects to a cell-tower to give you internet.  I'd look into the solar storm.

Ah, ok. But it has been happening the last couple of days...  Oh well, I may never know. 

Posted (edited)

May or may not be related.  The first of six CMEs hit earth very early this morning MT? CT?
there are concerns three may combine into one massive CME.    They do wreck havoc with electronics.

I pulled this off spaceweather.com 

SEVERE GEOMAGNETIC STORM--NOW!! The first of six CMEs hurled toward Earth by giant sunspot AR3664 just hit our planet's magnetic field. The impact on May 10th at 1645 UT jolted magnetometers around the world (e.g., 108 nT in Boulder CO) and sparked a severe (G4-class) geomagnetic storm. This storm is underway now. More CMEs are following close behind (see below) and their arrival could extend the storm into the weekend. Stay tuned! CME impact alerts: SMS Text

UPDATE--SIX CMEs HURLED TOWARD EARTH: The number of CMEs heading for Earth keeps increasing. The total is now six following this morning's X3.9-class flare from giant sunspot AR3664. All six storm clouds are captured in this time-lapse movie from the Solar and Heliospheric Observatory

Edited by gardenmom5
  • Like 1