Menu

Eclipse Travel

After seeing a total eclipse, I might have to travel to see one again. My dingdongs at home had to be convinced that they really, really should watch it, but I forgot to verbalize that it was fine to take off glasses during totality, so they missed that.

All that said, I'm really, seriously thinking about planning international travel for at least dh and I to go see another one before we're too old for international travel.

I thought you might enjoy this website I found, that pinpoints when, where, how long for totality, and spots in each country that should be a great starting place:

https://time.com/4897581/total-solar-eclipse-years-next/

• Like 2
  • Thanks 5

13 minutes ago, Halftime Hope said:

After seeing a total eclipse, I might have to travel to see one again. My dingdongs at home had to be convinced that they really, really should watch it, but I forgot to verbalize that it was fine to take off glasses during totality, so they missed that.

All that said, I'm really, seriously thinking about planning international travel for at least dh and I to go see another one before we're too old for international travel.

I thought you might enjoy this website I found, that pinpoints when, where, how long for totality, and spots in each country that should be a great starting place:

https://time.com/4897581/total-solar-eclipse-years-next/

We are considering this Alaska 2033. Not sure if we would drive all the way there and back. We need to do a lot of research on that one. It isn't in the lower part where it will be easier to determine routes, find places to stay, etc.

We would also consider Egypt 2027. We have friends in the path of totality, and might be able to stay with them.

• Like 1

I was literally just looking at future eclipses right before I came in here. 🙂 

I don’t know what it would be like to be in a country where I don’t understand the language (I.e., Spain). I haven’t ruled it out though. 

• Like 1

If this is really on your agenda, you should consider cruises. Many more eclipses cover the sea than the land, and there's no rush/crowd for accommodations nearby. There's also a greater chance of good weather, since a ship can 'chase' an opening in any cloud cover (to some extent). There may even be eclipses that don't get onto lists (because they don't pass over any land) that might be very personal experiences for people onboard a ship.

• Like 4

Posted (edited)
24 minutes ago, bolt. said:

If this is really on your agenda, you should consider cruises. Many more eclipses cover the sea than the land, and there's no rush/crowd for accommodations nearby. There's also a greater chance of good weather, since a ship can 'chase' an opening in any cloud cover (to some extent). There may even be eclipses that don't get onto lists (because they don't pass over any land) that might be very personal experiences for people onboard a ship.

@bolt. Thanks! That's a good idea, too. That idea might lengthen our window of possible events, if one of us is no longer in good enough health to go globetrotting.

Edited by Halftime Hope

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Sunshine State Sue said:

Thanks. What do GE and GE mean?

eclipsewise.com.icohttps://eclipsewise.com › solar › SEgmapx › SEgmapkey.html  (ETA: The gent that wrote this, Fred Espenak, generated the Google maps in the first link I posted; if I remember correctly, he's a retire NASA guy.)

Greatest Eclipse (GE) and Greatest Duration (GD)  See the link above for good explanations. 🙂
Edited by Halftime Hope
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Faith-manor said:

We are considering this Alaska 2033. Not sure if we would drive all the way there and back. 

If you drove to Alaska you would have to leave your car and fly as totality is not near the road system. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Faith-manor said:

We are considering this Alaska 2033. Not sure if we would drive all the way there and back. We need to do a lot of research on that one. It isn't in the lower part where it will be easier to determine routes, find places to stay, etc.

We would also consider Egypt 2027. We have friends in the path of totality, and might be able to stay with them.

I live here in Alaska and can say that most of AK is not accessible by roads. After quick research, looks like totality is only in remote AK so the logistical planning will look different than the lower part of the state that is more accessible. These locations are not road accessible.