Menu

AHHH!!!! Did I make a science mistake for next year????

KIN

I bought RS4K Pre-Level 1 Chemistry for next fall. I really like the looks of it, but see three drawbacks: it is only 10 weeks long, it doesn't teach any creation science (it is neutral) and it doesn't have an experiment kit (I have to put my own together).

We are using Apologia's Astronomy this year and really enjoy it! It is all in one book, I have a kit for the experiments, it is designed kind of classically in that you do narrations and create notebook pages, and it has a creation view of science. It is taking us an entire year to get through this book b/c of our new baby, but I'm expecting next year to be smoother and to do more science. However, it only has biology, biology and well biology - botany, swimming creatures, flying creatures and land creatures (I forget what that one is called!) in addition to Astronomy which we are using this year. I wanted to follow the WTM suggestion of science rotation, want to go with chemistry next year.

Am I going to be disappointed with RS4K? How should I make it last a year - use two curricula like another Apologia book in the 2nd semester, living books from Noeo science, or return RS4K? I need advice please!!!! Thanks!

I use two of the Elementary Apologia Science books a year for my oldest boys. Maybe you could do RS4K in the fall semester and then switch to Apologia Botany in the spring.

I looked at the RS4K series when it first came out at our homeschool fair a few years back. It's my understanding that all 3 components of the RS4K Level I series (Biology, Chemistry, & Physics) were meant to be used in one school year. That's why the Chemistry program is only 10 weeks long. However, the program may have changed since I looked closely at it. At that time, I was looking for something more in line with TWTM approach, so I chose not to use it.

Since that time I've discovered the Apologia Elementary series; these books have been a great fit for our homeschool.

I have this curriculum and we've used it. The materials for the experiments are quite simple. I recommend buying a lot of clear plastic cups--one of the experiments had me washing all our clear dessert dishes for the various liquids we used. The only thing I had to buy is a purple cabbage: use only 1/2 of it the first time, or at least save the water. It came up the next week and I'd already tossed ours! (Didn't look ahead).

The kids loved it.

The conceptual content of the RS4K prechem is good, but as you say, the gathering of stuff the experiments held us up. I also thought her emphasis on scientific thought was a bit overkill for the age, when all I really wanted was for dd to SEE the experiments. But that's just me. Since you have it, keep it and do it. Gather your shopping list and things now, so it's not a pain. To finish out the year I pulled out some extra chemistry exeriment type books and we've just been working through them. The ACS (american chemical society) has some really adorable ones, but even basic information books usually have projects or demonstations to go with them. Then I got a Thames & Kosmos chem kit to try, haven't started that yet. Kits are a good thing, lol.

If you want to cover creation science, why not do that 2nd semester and buy a whole bunch of books and really go at it?

castleheightspress.com has a cooking curriculum for elementary kids that looks great.

It's only $10 and explains alot of chemistry terms through making easy things at home.

I think you could fold it in to your program pretty easily.

As far as creation science-you can add that in on your own by reminding them God created everything, even atoms, etc.

He is a God of great detail!

As to the length of it-my kids get tired of staying on the same science topic for a whole year, and for that matter, so do I.

They don't seem to be lacking in their science knowledge despite their aversion to year long science topics.

So if you like what you have seen so far in RS4K, I wouldn't hesitate to keep it.

Fwiw, I would add some living books because I think they enhance every subject:)

jmo

We're using RS4K Pre-Level A Chemistry this year and have enjoyed it. The materials for the book are really easy to get - stuff you can pick up at the grocery store. I just made a list at the beginning and bought everything up front.

It is a drawback that the book is only 10 weeks. I am adding in LLB Chemistry (some of it, not sure how much). Another book to look at is Fizz, Bubble & Flash by Anita Brandolini. It talks about the periodic table, then goes through all of the elements and has expirements to go along with each. I picked up this book from half.com very cheap. We haven't used it yet, but it looks like a really fun book.

Thanks ladies. :) I finally decided to just go for it! I just ordered some living science books that Noeo chem 1 uses from Amazon. I will work those in and stretch it out for a year. That means I'll have to piece it together a bit, but I think it will work! Whew! One more thing I can stop reading, researching and pondering. It. is. done.