Menu

Singapore US vs. Standards?

Mommy22alyns

Help please!

We're using the US edition of Singapore 1A and 1B this year, but I'm wondering what the differences are between the Standards edition and the US edition. Should I switch over to Standards when I buy next year's curriculum? I see that they finally have HIGs for the Standards, which definitely helps. I rely on my HIGs.

Are US and Standard really much different at 2A and 2B?

The standards edition was developed and published specifically for California state standards. If you don't live in California, you needn't worry about the standards edition. Singaporemath.com has a forum where you can get really good, specific information about their various math programs -- if you have any more questions, you might want to post there.

Here is an interesting review by a math Professor at Berkeley. He directly compares several pages of each edition .

math.berkeley.edu/~giventh/TDS/m5.pdf

or to get to the review click on

www.sumizdat.org/ and click on 'Translator's homepage' and then 'Singapore vs. California math textbooks'

I want to point out, so there is no confusion, this review/article is not comparing the Singapore standards edition to the U.S. edition. It is comparing Singapore Math to an entirely different text used in California from a different publisher, Houghton Mifflin.

The standards edition of the Singapore Math program was just recently adopted by the California Department of Education as one of their approved texts for use in California public schools. I am hoping our school district adopts these texts for use starting next year. :)

I want to point out, so there is no confusion, this review/article is not comparing the Singapore standards edition to the U.S. edition. It is comparing Singapore Math to an entirely different text used in California from a different publisher, Houghton Mifflin.

The standards edition of the Singapore Math program was just recently adopted by the California Department of Education as one of their approved texts for use in California public schools. I am hoping our school district adopts these texts for use starting next year. :)

Whoops, you are correct! Thanks for catching that, and sorry to the OP, I hope I didn't add more confusion to the topic.

If I had to purchase again, I might have gone with the Standards Edition, if only for the benefit of the few topics not contained in the US editions. I don't think it matters much either way, though I am curious about what is going to be developed for a middle school product in the Standards sequence: Will the first year look like 6A/6B, or will it be a new animal altogether?

I wish I had the link for you - maybe it's on the Singapore site- comparing the two. I was also looking at 2A and 2B and I believe at that level the charts I saw were essentially identical. I think it was at level 3 or 4 that they start to be off from each other a little.

I don't think you need to switch for 2A/B as there isn't much of a difference, but definately by 3 you should decide one way or the other.

We used US edition for 2A-3A, but will be switching to Standards 3B for a few units before moving on to Standards 4.

One of the differences are asthetic-the standards editions retain the very colorful print in all the texts through 5. The US edition stops at 2, I think. For some kids this is a problem-they find it difficult to focus because the colors are distracting. My son specifically asked for more color, which does help him focus better, so that's one reason why we switched.

Another difference is there is supposed to be more review of previously learned topics built into the Standards edition. I can't say for sure though because I got rid of my 3B US Edition when I got the Standards.

The Standards edition covers probablity and statistics, which is a state thing here in CA, so again that's another reason why we switched. Also, and it's late so please forgive me, but, there is something about the fractions. Like the fractions unit in 3B introduces more advanced topics than the US edition covered.

The only pitfall for us is that the HIG's aren't ready for 4 on, so I'm stuck getting the very expensive TG's. :glare:

I switched to standards edition starting at 4A. The Singapore site details the differences, and if my memory serves me right, the standards edition contains a little more content. Nothing was removed. I decided to switch since I take hs'ing year by year, and if we go pack to ps, my ds wouldn't be deficient. We're both really happy with the program so far.

I am curious about what is going to be developed for a middle school product in the Standards sequence: Will the first year look like 6A/6B, or will it be a new animal altogether?

That's the other thing that's giving me pause - Standards only goes to 5A/5B. I have several years before I have to think about it because Becca's unlikely to fly through a math program, but it is a consideration all the same. I'm wondering if the transition will be a little smoother in the Standards edition - I hear that the jump from 6B to NEM is pretty significant.