Menu

Why do people think they are invincible?

There are relatives that think they are smarter/more capable than other folks, so they would do those risky things that 9 other folks died attempting, but they would think (in their own heads) they would be successful - those other people were less talented than they are.  I don't agree, but there it is. Some folks can't be persuaded. 

Edited by Bambam

17 hours ago, Carrie12345 said:

But, when it comes to adults at least, surely they’ve seen news stories about people who have done all of these things, no?

Obviously that isn’t enough. I mean, people still drink and drive and I can’t imagine anyone of driving age, at least in the US, who hasn’t heard about deaths and license revoking. “It won’t happen to me.”

Maybe. Some of them. I doubt the younger age group spends much time reading the paper. More like watching people do crazy stuff on instagram and then having to try it themselves.

I really don't have much faith in people's willingness to put forth the effort of thinking whether it be the wilderness, home repair, driving or politics.  And they may think they are only risking themselves. Thinking about others, like rescuers, is probably beyond their capabilities. Drivers can't think about pedestrians even though they can visually see the danger they are putting them in. 

Don't get me wrong, I am not advocating living that way but it is what I see all around me. People really aren't good at thinking about things they aren't required to think about. They also don't know what they don't know and most people prefer making statements to asking questions. 🤷‍♀️

• Like 1

On 3/12/2024 at 5:27 PM, prairiewindmomma said:

Instead of a place that has a sign that says, "Do not go past this point",  a more effective sign would be "9 people have died here since 2016 from falls off of crumbling cliffs after crossing this point"

There are signs like this on a trail near me, which include a helpful graphic of a person falling from a cliff. People are still climbing it in flip flops. 

I think there is a certain humanity to risk taking in the natural world, but learning to mitigate risk is the most human of activities.

• Like 1