Menu

Need a little advice for traveling to Mumbai.

Faith-manor

Oh my husband goes walks around and goes to local markets and stuff when he has time and used taxis to go to a few sites.  It's very interesting just walking around.  I went and walked and explored around by myself.  I think that is fine if he is confident and comfortable with it.  It's too bad (and actually kind of weird) his team isn't more welcoming.  When my husband travels he has people battling over who is going to take him out exploring in the evening or over the weekend lol.  

1 hour ago, Ottakee said:

I am not sure if it would work on the water issues there or not but we backpack with a sawyer squeeze which is very small and portable and could be used to filter water as needed.

Sawyer Squeeze and other water filters will remove bacteria and protozoa, but not viruses (like Hep A).  Fine for backwoods water treatment in North America.

A water purifier, like the Grayl, or MSR Guardian, will remove bacteria, protozoa and viruses like Hep A, norovirus, rotavirus.  A better choice for travel to parts of the world where these are a concern.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, catz said:

Oh my husband goes walks around and goes to local markets and stuff when he has time and used taxis to go to a few sites.  It's very interesting just walking around.  I went and walked and explored around by myself.  I think that is fine if he is confident and comfortable with it.  It's too bad (and actually kind of weird) his team isn't more welcoming.  When my husband travels he has people battling over who is going to take him out exploring in the evening or over the weekend lol.  

He is new. His former company, the job straight out of college, ended up in financial trouble when the sales team made some really BAD deals, promising the sun moon and stars for not enough dollars and in time frames there was no hope of meeting. He knew they would make cut backs, and being with the company only a year, he knew he and any of the new engineering hires would be first on the chopping block. So he put his resume' out there, and this job popped up. He really likes it. They really like him, and his boss is great! But, the other four electrical engineers on the team (not the mechanical engineers - those gals are super, duper nice and inclusive) are all a lot older, dads with kids, and as it turns out they all go to the same church. They talk about a lot of stuff that is personal because they are all best buddies who play on tjr same church softball team. So they naturally exclude him from the social element. I suspect that over time they will warm up. He had only been with this company for 4 months.

And again, they are not unprofessional or even snarky or anything like that. I suspect they will all come around in time. Ds, always the even keel one, doesn't take it personally at all. He is convinced though that he will not be included socially on the trip. I hope he will be pleasantly surprised.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, wathe said:

Sawyer Squeeze and other water filters will remove bacteria and protozoa, but not viruses (like Hep A).  Fine for backwoods water treatment in North America.

A water purifier, like the Grayl, or MSR Guardian, will remove bacteria, protozoa and viruses like Hep A, norovirus, rotavirus.  A better choice for travel to parts of the world where these are a concern.

Thanks. I will look at those. I don't mind the investment. He and his brother backwoods camp all the time, so something like this can just become a part of their camp equipment. Plus, they may send him to Vietnam in the fall, and I suspect it would be helpful there as well.

• Like 1

Faith, this is such a wonderful opportunity for him. I wonder if he could connect with an NGO or faith-based org with local boots on the ground who could show him what they are up to and connect him with someone in their orbit who would like to show him around? What a shame to spend his down-time in four walls.

It never hurts to ask.

• Like 2

On 2/16/2024 at 1:48 PM, wathe said:

Thanks for the tip on the Grayl. We lived 1000 yards off a lake for the last 30 years. Every year,  I say we need to get a purifier for the emergency kit. But just couldn't pull the trigger on a $400 Berkey system to store until the apocalypse.  Looked at the Grayl products, and bought one.  24 ounces of filtered water in seconds would more than cover our needs.