Menu

Biology / Chemistry at The Potter's School

I have had kids take both.   Biology used the Miller Levine textbook/course materials; Chemistry used Pearson.  One of the potential advantages of TPS is that each (non-math) class meets only once a week, so it can help to minimize screen time for a student taking multiple live courses, and the teachers usually make good use of that limited class time.  My recollection is fuzzy, because this was a couple of years ago, but I think that the Biology class involved relatively frequent quizzes that the student would type, or, if complicated diagrams/interrelationship maps were required, print out, draw/complete, and scan in.  There were weekly online assignments through Savvas, I believe, in which the students would enter some free-form, short answer questions.  Tests required deep mastery but were not unfair.  Is that the information you were looking for? 

14 minutes ago, flmom79 said:

I have had kids take both.   Biology used the Miller Levine textbook/course materials; Chemistry used Pearson.  One of the potential advantages of TPS is that each (non-math) class meets only once a week, so it can help to minimize screen time for a student taking multiple live courses, and the teachers usually make good use of that limited class time.  My recollection is fuzzy, because this was a couple of years ago, but I think that the Biology class involved relatively frequent quizzes that the student would type, or, if complicated diagrams/interrelationship maps were required, print out, draw/complete, and scan in.  There were weekly online assignments through Savvas, I believe, in which the students would enter some free-form, short answer questions.  Tests required deep mastery but were not unfair.  Is that the information you were looking for? 

Yes!  Thanks!  Did your kids enjoy the classes? 

Just now, desertflower said:

Yes!  Thanks!  Did your kids enjoy the classes? 

Well, it had to get done, so I'd say they enjoyed it as much as they would have enjoyed any science class.  2 observations: 1) the class structure was very helpful in maintaining accountability and minimizing friction with the parent.  I say this as someone who is currently using the Pearson Chemistry materials for a student who is NOT currently enrolled in Chemistry as a live class.  As far as whether that sets TPS apart from other online providers, probably not.  2) some of the biology Savvas assignments and test questions were very open-ended, and one student found that quite stressful.  He still needed to be able to do it, though, so I don't really see that as a negative.  "Enjoy" just isn't a word I'd use in this context, but I think that depends on the student.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, flmom79 said:

Well, it had to get done, so I'd say they enjoyed it as much as they would have enjoyed any science class.  2 observations: 1) the class structure was very helpful in maintaining accountability and minimizing friction with the parent.  I say this as someone who is currently using the Pearson Chemistry materials for a student who is NOT currently enrolled in Chemistry as a live class.  As far as whether that sets TPS apart from other online providers, probably not.  2) some of the biology Savvas assignments and test questions were very open-ended, and one student found that quite stressful.  He still needed to be able to do it, though, so I don't really see that as a negative.  "Enjoy" just isn't a word I'd use in this context, but I think that depends on the student.

Ok. Thanks for your input!  😃

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Bumping this in case someone has any more thoughts on The Potter's School for honors Bio.

Our kids have taken science (including honors and AP) through Wilson Hill thus far and loved it. They have also used Novare science texts for non-AP level classes and they've been great. Unfortunately, DS now has a scheduling conflict because the section he was enrolled in had to be closed and we're scrambling to find an honors biology class for next year.

17 minutes ago, pgr said:

Bumping this in case someone has any more thoughts on The Potter's School for honors Bio.

Our kids have taken science (including honors and AP) through Wilson Hill thus far and loved it. They have also used Novare science texts for non-AP level classes and they've been great. Unfortunately, DS now has a scheduling conflict because the section he was enrolled in had to be closed and we're scrambling to find an honors biology class for next year.

Hi. I signed her up for honors biology with Blue Tent. She has a friend taking it this year. Hope this helps. 

11 minutes ago, desertflower said:

Hi. I signed her up for honors biology with Blue Tent. She has a friend taking it this year. Hope this helps. 

Thank you, that does help. I like Blue Tent, but its schedule also conflicts with what DS already has in place. Ugh. 

• Like 1

Thanks everyone.  I was asking because she wanted to take their Forensic Science class.  Thought if she took their biology and chemistry course their, then it would be easier to enroll in their forensic science course. 

We decided to enroll her in honors biology at blue tent.  Will consider chemistry with Connie though.  My son is taking her self paced Intro to Org Chem and Biochem. 

On 4/13/2024 at 3:39 PM, pgr said:

I dm’ed you! 

• Thanks 1