Menu

For those interested in linguistics/ pronunciation

Laura Corin

That's interesting. I didn't realize that there was a part of England where R's are/were strong.

It's happening in the US too. The classic New York accent is disappearing. My grandparents (both children of Italian immigrants) said woik for work and berl for boil. That accent is nearly non existent and other NYC accents are also on the way out. 

https://www.npr.org/2015/02/02/383289958/fuhgeddaboudit-new-york-accent-on-its-way-out-linguists-say

From the article - this was my maternal grandparents' accent: 

"People used to say 'Toidy-toid Street' for '33rd Street,' 'goil' for 'girl' in New York City English, and that is actually almost completely dead," he says.

I'm always fascinated by accents and dialects.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Lady Florida. said:

That's interesting. I didn't realize that there was a part of England where R's are/were strong.

It's happening in the US too. The classic New York accent is disappearing. My grandparents (both children of Italian immigrants) said woik for work and berl for boil. That accent is nearly non existent and other NYC accents are also on the way out. 

https://www.npr.org/2015/02/02/383289958/fuhgeddaboudit-new-york-accent-on-its-way-out-linguists-say

From the article - this was my maternal grandparents' accent: 

"People used to say 'Toidy-toid Street' for '33rd Street,' 'goil' for 'girl' in New York City English, and that is actually almost completely dead," he says.

I'm always fascinated by accents and dialects.

This is Devon. Lots of R

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1