Menu

Grrrr Brexit Grrrrr JAWM

Laura Corin

We were planning to take the ferry to Northern Ireland then drive down into Ireland with our elderly dog. Because of Brexit, we think we can't get the full dog vaccination and certification done in advance. Instead, after an enhanced procedure in Scotland we would then need to enter Ireland through a specified port for further checks.

I don't blame Ireland at all - they are just  treating Britain the same as any non-EU member. Very irritating though.

Yes, I know the Northern Ireland/ Ireland border is open, but we don't want to design a whole holiday around illegal dog smuggling. Blondie is too old to leave in a kennel.

Back to the drawing board.

• Sad 15

11 minutes ago, Laura Corin said:

We were planning to take the ferry to Northern Ireland then drive down into Ireland with our elderly dog. Because of Brexit, we think we can't get the full dog vaccination and certification done in advance. Instead, after an enhanced procedure in Scotland we would then need to enter Ireland through a specified port for further checks.

I don't blame Ireland at all - they are just  treating Britain the same as any non-EU member. Very irritating though.

Yes, I know the Northern Ireland/ Ireland border is open, but we don't want to design a whole holiday around illegal dog smuggling. Blondie is too old to leave in a kennel.

Back to the drawing board.

I am sorry. That has to be so frustrating and complicated when it used to be so simple to travel between. I feel like that just a little here because we used to travel through Canada all the time, and now the border crossing had gotten complicated, messy, long delays, and random searching especially coming back into the US. It has greatly affected our travel plans when heading east. Hugs!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, wintermom said:

That's a shame. It's a good thing that you checked in advance, though, and avoided unpleasant surprises on the roadtrip.

Hope you have a great time in Ireland!

I suspect we will just wait a couple of years before going instead of struggling this year.

• Sad 3