Menu

mid year report "note" about DE (voluntary) course changes

cintinative

We are making several DE course changes. We are dropping a science with lab and a lower level IT course and adding two programming courses plus a higher level database management course. I am conflicted on how much we need to/should justify these decisions.  Has anyone done this and have advice for me?

ETA: I went into common app and none of these colleges require a midyear report. Should I just upload a new transcript? Or do nothing?

Thank you.

Edited by cintinative

I have had to make mid year changes for my 2019 senior and will again this year for my current senior.

In 2019, son's school did require the mid year report. I provided a letter with brief explanation and updated transcript and course descriptions.

This year, son's school does not require the mid year report. I also did not provide course descriptions for him/this school like I usually do (not needed). I will update his final transcript with the correct course work. 

If at all in doubt, call admissions for your son's first choice school (at minimum) and ask how they prefer this situation handled. 

Hth!

• Like 2

I made transcript changes, in addition to adding semester grades, in December for Dd last year, but idk if they actually showed up until the final one was sent. Individual school apps, not common app. None of the schools asked for an update and our umbrella school said that unless course load shifts dramatically weaker or grades drop significantly, non-selective schools usually do not care. Scholarship competitions in Jan and  Feb did not depend on the transcript at all. 

• Like 2

The fact that you have to make a whole document makes it seem like you need to have a real justification, but you really do not. 

"Course X changed to course Y and course Z due to schedule and student interests. Total number of anticipated credits upon graduation is now XX."

As for whether or not to submit, if you don't have to, you don't have to, though I have heard of schools that don't require it asking anyway, so it would head that off. It takes just a second to upload. You just fill the grades into the transcript, mark that they're in progress or semester grades if the course isn't done and upload the thing.

• Like 3