Menu

Tryptophan- safe for teen/young adult

matrips

Looking at it to help with general anxiety. Fully functioning kid appears on the outside. Struggles with anxiety inside. I think kid would be open to a supplement at this time, but nothing more doctorish. So just looking for a place to start. Would Tryptophan be a gentle supplement to help? What are the downsides? Advice on dosages or anything related to it is welcome.

14 minutes ago, itsheresomewhere said:

Has the child had a physical and blood work done recently? If not, I would start there before supplementing as some things can make anxiety worse or mimic it.  

Blood work done in the summer. Supposedly all normal looking.

6 hours ago, matrips said:

Looking at it to help with general anxiety. Fully functioning kid appears on the outside. Struggles with anxiety inside. I think kid would be open to a supplement at this time, but nothing more doctorish. So just looking for a place to start. Would Tryptophan be a gentle supplement to help? What are the downsides? Advice on dosages or anything related to it is welcome.

tryptophan should be safe.  

vitamin d3 will also affect anxiety if he's deficient.  drs today consider 50 to be a baseline.   It's also been reclassified as a hormone, not a vitamin.
for anxiety - dudeling took (2 @ 2X per day.  jarrow/pure encapsulations) ashwaghanda, and bacopa (pure encapsulations about 400mg 2 X per day).   not quite enough . . . but definitely a difference.
and make sure there are enough minerals (I do designs for health complete minerals for me) and B-vitamins. (I do emerald labs b-healthy)

10 hours ago, matrips said:

Likely not deficient in D3. We’ve supplemented that the past several years. I’ll try to get a copy of the bloodwork. 

You might be surprised on how many who supplement are still deficient.  Especially, as not everyone can absorb from the pills or have genetic issues that they don’t know about that cause it to be difficult to absorb. 

• Like 2