Menu

Leg cramps

mmasc

Does anyone think something like this actually works? Or have you tried a cream that does? I don’t have restless leg syndrome, but I do get the occasional leg cramp; I suspect from maybe wearing the wrong shoes and overtaxing the calf. I don’t even know what those active ingredients are, so I’m cautiously curious. 

11 minutes ago, mmasc said:

@Indigo Blue Do you have a magnesium cream you’d recommend?

I use pure encapsulations magnesium glycinate supplement. Glycinate is the only type that my digestive tract can handle. Epsom salts are my next favorite. 

I’ve never used a cream. Later on tonight I can browse through them and pick one that looks good if you want. 

You could just eat lots of pumpkin seeds, too. 1/4 cup has almost half the daily requirement. It has 20 percent of zinc and 15 percent of iron. That’s really a lot!

I think any topicals are good as long as the other ingredients are good. Some people aren’t picky about ingredients, though. 

I have muscle problems and IBS so I had to do lots of looking to find magnesium that works for me. An epsom salt bath before bed could probably really help. 

edit: hemp seeds have 45 percent in 3 tbsp. 

Edited by Indigo Blue
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Indigo Blue said:

An epsom salt bath before bed could probably really help. 

this.  I've been thinking of getting back to these lately.. . 

epsom salt baths have many benefits.  your body will absorb a lot of magnesium through the skin, they help extract toxins from your body, they're relaxing, softens skin . . . . 

My ND's rec was 4 CUPS of epsom salt, and one cup of baking soda (at least 30 minutes.) for a health issue.  I also dump in some 'fragrant' bath powder, or oils, etc. 

I love costco.  huge bags of epsom salts, big bag of baking soda . . . 

• Like 1

I looked real quick and here are a few that look good to me:

Ancient Minerals topical lotion

Full Eight magnesium butter

Mo’ Maggie magnesium lotion

These are on Amazon. 

These look good from the perspective of someone who is picky about ingredients.

Edited by Indigo Blue
  • Thanks 1

I used to take an Epsom salt bath almost nightly—I had a wonderful, clean separate tub. Now I have a combined shower/tub combo and honestly I just can’t bring myself to take a bath in it. It’s not comfortable, I would have to clean it every time before I used it, and then the shower curtain being close to me icks me out. I know that all sounds incredibly picky and weird lol. So, I was thinking a nice cream might be good. I don’t want to ingest anything—looking more for a calming ritual that might actually help with the occasional cramp. 

• Like 1

Ancient Minerals and Dr. Shealy are two magnesium brands. The texture is sort of a combo of oil and gel but it isn’t oily. You might feel slightly itchy afterward. That is normal.

A number of things can cause muscle cramps. You could start with making sure you’re hydrated. Then, making sure you’re getting enough magnesium, potassium and calcium, ideally from food. Personally, I think it is well worth the bother to track the diet you tend to eat to ensure you are getting what you need. Many people are chronically deficient which over time can cause problems.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I can usually tell it’s from certain shoes or walking too much. And it’s occasional—like once every couple of months maybe. I was just thinking more along the lines of something sort of like my bath, which I don’t do anymore. Just a nightly, soothing ritual. 

Edited by mmasc
  • Like 1

Don't forget potassium! Bananas, potatoes, sweet potatoes, chard, beans (especially kidney beans) all have potassium. So does cream of tartar. It's disgusting but if you mix it with orange juice, the flavor is masked. But I needed a lot because I was pregnant and pregnant women need about 5000 mg a day (I think everyone else needs about 3500 if I remember correctly). You could start with just 1/4 tsp and see if that helps. 

• Thanks 1