Menu

Paper is a huge money pit in our house and I need ideas!

Caroline4kids

I think trees shudder when they see my house. We go through reams of paper and now with all these icky perforated notebooks papers come loose all the time!

I would like my children to do their dictation/copywork on something that will feel like a pen or pencil and will look like it was written on paper--for a little while, but then can be erased. I would like one or two examples per week on real paper for a portfolio or the like, but I do not want to fight the paper monster anymore.

Currently, we have marker boards from Wal Mart with those huge expo markers. The thin markers are not much of an improvement. I don't like how a brush of an arm can erase things as the work and wet erase markers are still a little too big.

Someone had mentioned gel boards or magnet boards a few days ago. Any ideas about these or other ideas for a travel friendly, but reusable writing solution?

Math assignments will be done on this too. I keep tests, but not much else.

Thanks!

We use home made white boards for work at the kitchen table. For travel we have magnetic boards, they work really well. Copywork i always do pencil and paper. I think it is important for DD to learn to place letters on the line and their correct formation with a pencil and paper. We use the other things for writing lists, spelling out words, math etc.

I love the magnetic boards because they can't be accidentally erased by wayward arms.

The gel boards don't look like they have lines above the 'primer' stage of writing. You'd need a few of them for each student to make it through the week (if you don't want to erase right away). From the pics, I'd say these would be handy for math and such, but they don't look 'neat' enough for copywork. Maybe someone who owns one can chime in on that?

Sharpies can be erased from page protectors with a pencil eraser, or with rubbing alcohol. It will feel like pen on paper and won't smear, but you will have to clean the page protectors once a week or so.

That's all I can think of that won't smear (both dry and wet erase will; I can't imagine doing copywork with them), and will feel like writing with a pen on paper.

a pack of 200 page protectors at Sam's is about $10; a pack of fine Sharpies about the same; and a dollar for the rubbing alcohol.

Hmm. I know for my preschooler and tot I laminate certain worksheets and use washable crayon for them to write with. Not sure if that is the idea your looking for but maybe that can spawn another idea.

I hear you on the shuddering trees. I think trees shudder around here because we go through so much printer paper. My daughters love to draw. Thank goodness our Christmas tree is fake! LOL.

The gel boards don't look like they have lines above the 'primer' stage of writing. You'd need a few of them for each student to make it through the week (if you don't want to erase right away). From the pics, I'd say these would be handy for math and such, but they don't look 'neat' enough for copywork. Maybe someone who owns one can chime in on that?

Sharpies can be erased from page protectors with a pencil eraser, or with rubbing alcohol. It will feel like pen on paper and won't smear, but you will have to clean the page protectors once a week or so.

That's all I can think of that won't smear (both dry and wet erase will; I can't imagine doing copywork with them), and will feel like writing with a pen on paper.

a pack of 200 page protectors at Sam's is about $10; a pack of fine Sharpies about the same; and a dollar for the rubbing alcohol.

I actually find that hair spray does a MUCH better job removing permanent marker ( like sharpie) then rubbing alchohol does.

I actually find that hair spray does a MUCH better job removing permanent marker ( like sharpie) then rubbing alchohol does.

I've not heard of using hairspray! and it's in convenient spray form (I put my rubbing alcohol into a spray bottle for ease of use).

huh, I don't really use hairspray, I'm not sure I can test this one tonight! thanks, though, I'll buy some cheap stuff tomorrow. or go to my sister's house :D

We use Vis-a-Vis wet erase markers. They are thin like a pen with a felt tip. They are like Sharpies but the tip is a bit weaker. They are perfect for writing work on a dry erase slate. The kids can do the writing, I can check it, and then we need nothing more than water to erase. Wide range of colors.

I also use these with page protectors and cllear sheets for magazine puzzles, et c. They are great and I highly recommend them!

Those are good ideas. I was only planning on having them keep the copy work long enough for me to see, so I'd only need one thing for each kid. I think I will try the page protector idea. I have those already, but I will have to go to Staples and see if there are thin enough markers.

Any reviews on gel boards? Are these the same things as magnet boards?