Menu

Science for Middle Grades.

None of the above. 

We've cobbled our own lit based plan together. We've covered more than a curriculum would this way, and my kids have been more engaged. 🤷‍♀️

The youngest human did zoology in 5th and evolution in 6th. For 7th this year it's chemistry, using a blend of "light" high school supplements and a pile of books to read. I'm not going to guess what he'll do for 8th until we're closer. He tends to get an urgent rabbit trail in early summer and I just go with it. He'll definitely be ready for intro high school level by then but I'm not pushing him into it. 

55 minutes ago, SilverMoon said:

None of the above. 

We've cobbled our own lit based plan together. We've covered more than a curriculum would this way, and my kids have been more engaged. 🤷‍♀️

The youngest human did zoology in 5th and evolution in 6th. For 7th this year it's chemistry, using a blend of "light" high school supplements and a pile of books to read. I'm not going to guess what he'll do for 8th until we're closer. He tends to get an urgent rabbit trail in early summer and I just go with it. He'll definitely be ready for intro high school level by then but I'm not pushing him into it. 

Thanks for your reply. That sounds really good. I have used set science programs in the past with my older kids but I'm thinking of using a different approach with my current logic-stagers. Did you have your son keep a notebook, write reports etc. Or something else???

6 hours ago, LindaOz said:

Thanks for your reply. That sounds really good. I have used set science programs in the past with my older kids but I'm thinking of using a different approach with my current logic-stagers. Did you have your son keep a notebook, write reports etc. Or something else???

I also don't use the WTM plans or preplanned program.  My kids can study whatever science topic they are interested in studying.  They pick the topic.  I help them find books.  They read for 30-45 mins and take Cornell Notes from their reading.  Every few weeks their writing assignment will be on a topic related to their current science topic.  They'll spend a week researching more information and then writing their paper.  

FWIW, I have taken the above approach with all of my kids through elementary school until they are ready for high school level science (except they don't start Cornell Notes until 7th grade, before that they just read and write their assigned reports).  This approach has provided my kids with a strong science foundation.  They have gone on to pursue STEM careers without any issue.

• Like 2

We did DIY too, based on kids’ interests. We often scaffolded around fun, hands-on things available at our Nature Center, Science Center, Zoo, Botanical Garden, etc. Mostly reading with some narration and note-taking. In 8th I did a short how-to-study-with-a textbook intro.

• Thanks 1

My DD goes to school so does whatever science is happening there. At home, she’s doing chemistry with a tutor using a IGCSE text and monthly “experiments”/demonstrations. She’s also doing Science Olympiad through her school (parent volunteers). I picked the IGCSE text as I could not find a middle grade’s chemistry textbook. It’s currently very basic but it will pick up. 
I completely failed at middle grades science when DS was homeschooled (besides being grateful for classes like Jetta’s physics and then later on, community college classes) but my DD leans that way so we are trying this. 

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, LindaOz said:

The kid I mentioned is dysgraphic and in the pre-notetaking stage. I sprinkle some worksheets with open ended questions that are correlated to his spine text, and I guide our discussions to things that would be put in notes or a report. We're still heavily discussion based. 

The older kids would have done notes or notebooking in 7th. 

14 hours ago, 8filltheheart said:

also don't use the WTM plans or preplanned program.  My kids can study whatever science topic they are interested in studying.  They pick the topic.  I help them find books.  They read for 30-45 mins and take Cornell Notes from their reading.  Every few weeks their writing assignment will be on a topic related to their current science topic.  They'll spend a week researching more information and then writing their paper.  

FWIW, I have taken the above approach with all of my kids through elementary school until they are ready for high school level science (except they don't start Cornell Notes until 7th grade, before that they just read and write their assigned reports).  This approach has provided my kids with a strong science foundation.  They have gone on to pursue STEM careers without any issue

Great!!!! Thanks for your reply. So do you have them do experiments/practical demonstrations or do you leave that to their own discretion and interest level? Also...what are Cornell Notes??

10 hours ago, SilverMoon said:

The kid I mentioned is dysgraphic and in the pre-notetaking stage. I sprinkle some worksheets with open ended questions that are correlated to his spine text, and I guide our discussions to things that would be put in notes or a report. We're still heavily discussion based. 

The older kids would have done notes or notebooking in 7th. 

Thanks. So do you 'guide' your son's topic choices or let him pick his own topic of interest?

2 hours ago, LindaOz said:

Thanks. So do you 'guide' your son's topic choices or let him pick his own topic of interest?

He's picking the topics. Zoology, evolution, and chemistry all started as his strong interest.

Edited by SilverMoon
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, LindaOz said:

Great!!!! Thanks for your reply. So do you have them do experiments/practical demonstrations or do you leave that to their own discretion and interest level? Also...what are Cornell Notes??

No planned experiments/labs until high school level courses. They can do whatever they want, but not during our school day and not with me. I am probably a lone voice in modern ed, but I think the focus on hands on demonstrations gives kids a completely false idea of what a career in science entails. (Want to know what my ds's physics  work entailed? Programming. Sifting through data. Want to know what my college dr's atmospheric science research entails? Programming. Sifting through data. 😉

CN are a way of organizing information. My kids use them for their reading and lectures. They continue to use them in college bc it is a simple way to organize notes into an effective study system.

• Like 1

On 10/8/2023 at 10:15 PM, 8filltheheart said:

No planned experiments/labs until high school level courses. They can do whatever they want, but not during our school day and not with me. I am probably a lone voice in modern ed, but I think the focus on hands on demonstrations gives kids a completely false idea of what a career in science entails. (Want to know what my ds's physics  work entailed? Programming. Sifting through data. Want to know what my college dr's atmospheric science research entails? Programming. Sifting through data. 😉

CN are a way of organizing information. My kids use them for their reading and lectures. They continue to use them in college bc it is a simple way to organize notes into an effective study system.

Thanks so much. That's really interesting!! And, yes, everything is all about 'hands-on' like there's no other way to do science. I'm starting to get a little excited about science for my kids now. My 7th grader says she wants to be a midwife, and she is naturally interested in science topics. I don't want to kill that by having her do a program that causes her to lose the love. KWIM?

Thanks again 🙂