Menu

Amazon data center impact on property values?

Spryte

We have just gotten notice that Amazon is planning to build a data center complex (not a distribution warehouse) next to our suburban neighborhood which backs to wooded areas. [insert horrified screaming]

I am sad. I know they can be loud. We are sensitive to sound here, so this won’t work. We have already been tentatively planning a move, but this may light a fire.

We have been debating about selling or keeping our house as rental property, and this might decide the issue. Does a data center (large!) tend to decrease property values? Increase (feels like a long shot)? 

Wondering if we should move our time frame up and sell, though we can’t make big decisions till at least Dec. We had planned for next summer. Alternatively, if it might increase values (feels unlikely?), we can hold onto our house a bit longer.

And — I am sad. We live on a large pond with wildlife. Last winter/spring we had bald eagles fishing and hanging out — we could hear them from our open windows, and see them, until construction scared them away. I had hoped they’d be back, but that won’t happen now. I loved being greeted by them outside the windows every day. Boo.

Edited by Spryte
  • Sad 7

15 minutes ago, Spryte said:

I am sad. I know they can be loud. We are sensitive to sound here, so this won’t work.

Data centers aren’t loud generally. They are as loud as any office building, usually less cars than a typical office building since less on site staff is needed. 
The effect on property price is hard to predict. I have lots of companies within walking distance to my home. They don’t affect property prices for me as people who buy or rent in my area do so for convenience of getting to work at Google, Facebook, Apple (company busses) without having to drive. If the data center is going to be the only office building, that might feel like an eyesore.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Arcadia said:

Data centers aren’t loud generally. They are as loud as any office building, usually less cars than a typical office building since less on site staff is needed. 
The effect on property price is hard to predict. I have lots of companies within walking distance to my home. They don’t affect property prices for me as people who buy or rent in my area do so for convenience of getting to work at Google, Facebook, Apple (company busses) without having to drive. If the data center is going to be the only office building, that might feel like an eyesore.

Thanks! I’m happy to hear it might not be as noticeably loud as we fear. It will be complex of many buildings — more like a campus. It could be a positive. I’d like to think that. Our first instinct was that this could be a positive for our area. 

Then we realized how very close our house is to the proposed complex — very, very close — and we started reading.

There’s a meeting coming up soon, and we will find out more info.

22 minutes ago, Katy said:

Oh, I’m wrong, they can reach up to 96 decibels. Still, you can demand the town require noise meditation. 

https://www.datacenterknowledge.com/sustainability/why-data-centers-are-loud-and-how-quiet-them-down

Yes, this is the concern. Our town has no meaningful noise ordinances, at this point.

We are a very sound sensitive group. DH is an audio guy (professionally) and always has been sensitive. DS has ASD and anxiety — continuous sounds exacerbate the anxiety. And I have finally conquered migraines (happy dance!) and some noises can trigger those for me.

We will drive to a nearby county and just sit and listen near another center, and see how it sounds/feels. The HOA there fought and lost, and the HOA president claims that there are more reported migraines and more anxiety, but taking that with a grain of salt.

Edited by Spryte
  • Like 1

Of course, we aren’t planning to stay here long term for other reasons.

So we probably need to strategize whether to sell before they start building, during, or once it’s functioning.

Or keep the property as a rental, if that makes more sense financially, though I’m inclined to sell at the moment.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Spryte said:

We are a very sound sensitive group. DH is an audio guy (professionally) and always has been sensitive. DS has ASD and anxiety — continuous sounds exacerbate the anxiety. And I have finally conquered migraines (happy dance!) and some noises can trigger those for me

This news article might be worth reading then. It might be worth moving if your sound sensitivity is that high. While I am sensitive to sounds, the humming of computer servers and the noise of airplanes flying overhead doesn’t bother me. 
https://www.wusa9.com/amp/article/news/verify/verify-whats-all-the-data-center-noise-about/65-0a695ecf-9eac-44bc-93f8-9fd7f4bbfd88

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, Katy said:

Oh, I’m wrong, they can reach up to 96 decibels. Still, you can demand the town require noise meditation. 

https://www.datacenterknowledge.com/sustainability/why-data-centers-are-loud-and-how-quiet-them-down

96 decibels is about a lawn mower or a hair dryer.  So how loud it would be to you, is dependent upon distance (or proximity).

36 minutes ago, Spryte said:

We are a very sound sensitive group. DH is an audio guy (professionally) and always has been sensitive. DS has ASD and anxiety — continuous sounds exacerbate the anxiety. And I have finally conquered migraines (happy dance!) and some noises can trigger those for me.

We will drive to a nearby county and just sit and listen near another center, and see how it sounds/feels. The HOA there fought and lost, and the HOA president claims that there are more reported migraines and more anxiety, but taking that with a grain of salt.

For me, it's less the volume, and more the bass oscillation rate.  I can be places others aren't affected at all, and my bones are feeling it.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, gardenmom5 said:

96 decibels is about a lawn mower or a hair dryer.  So how loud it would be to you, is dependent upon distance (or proximity).

Yes, and if it’s continuous. A lawn mower for 45 minutes is not the same to me as a lawn mower all day and night.

26 minutes ago, gardenmom5 said:

For me, it's less the volume, and more the bass oscillation rate.  I can be places others aren't affected at all, and my bones are feeling it.

Agreed.

• Like 3