Menu

Things you've noticed about other countries/communities from movies/TV?

Laura Corin

On 9/3/2023 at 1:19 PM, fairfarmhand said:

This looks exactly like middle Tennessee. 

I thought Augsburg, Germany looked eerily like southern WV. 

On 9/5/2023 at 5:16 PM, Melissa in Australia said:

That things are greener in other countries. I mean the trees and grasses. I thought movies had enhanced the green.. Until I travelled to Canada and saw that it is greener. Here in Australia trees and grasses are more of a khaki green 

I’ve never heard “khaki green” as a color descriptor. I’d say “olive drab”, but I’m not positive if that’s a normal color or a military vocabulary word. 

Khaki is a colour, there is a whole palate of khaki colours. 

The military might have some uniforms that are khaki, but that doesn't mean they have exclusive use of the colour name  

there is a duck called Khaki Cambell.... Non milliary 😁

Olive drab is a completly different colour

Edited by Melissa in Australia

3 hours ago, Melissa in Australia said:

Khaki is a colour, there is a whole palate of khaki colours. 

The military might have some uniforms that are khaki, but that doesn't mean they have exclusive use of the colour name  

there is a duck called Khaki Cambell.... Non milliary 😁

Olive drab is a completly different colour

Yes, khaki is a light brown that leans yellow. I’m just not familiar with the whole khaki palette. If something is green, I wouldn’t think to call it khaki green even though when you said it i think I knew what you meant. It does make sense. I would just call a muted, tan/green color olive drab. It’s the olive drab nomenclature that I’m not sure is in common usage. Everyone is familiar with khaki. 

Speaking of similar landscapes across the pond ... when driving over the plains of Ukraine, I felt like I was home in the Midwest.

I don't think it's a coincidence that we have a pretty large Ukrainian population where I live.  I assume folks gravitate toward the familiar, and if farmers, toward the type of terrain they're best at cultivating.

• Like 1