Menu

Best Pencil Sharpener?

We need a new pencil sharpener (Christmas present?) that will accommodate all size pencils, including the big learners pencils. Are the manuals better, or the electric ones the way to go?

What do I get?

And what do I avoid?

Surely the hive-mind know the answer.

Your input is appreciated.

Bill

I'm also looking for a new pencil sharpener. I'd love to find the authentic, old ones that they made 50 years ago that fastened to the wall or to a table top and you turn the handle to sharpen your pencil... if such a creature still exists??? I don't want a poorly made "look-alike" of the real thing. If anyone knows of a website that sells the originals... not look-alikes... I'd love to purchase it.

I know this doesn't get good reviews from classroom teachers, but we love our Boston School Pro.

This is the one we were thinking about. We've been using the one at the school supply company in our area to sharpen our pencils as we can't do the big learning style ones on our trusty old (very old) Panasonic.

But reading reviews, it seems they either get 5 stars or 1, and some folks blast them as "junk' and claim they break down really quickly. Grrr.

One salesperson suggested to my wife that if you keep them clean and only use writing pencils (not colored or fancy "glitter" crusted pencils) that this machine should last a long time. Their's was actually an "Xacto" brand School Pro made by Boston and is exactly the same except for the logo.

I'll say the one at the school store puts a great point on the pencils, and I'm just not seeing any other great options. Thank for the endorsement.

Bill

I'm also looking for a new pencil sharpener. I'd love to find the authentic, old ones that they made 50 years ago that fastened to the wall or to a table top and you turn the handle to sharpen your pencil... if such a creature still exists??? I don't want a poorly made "look-alike" of the real thing. If anyone knows of a website that sells the originals... not look-alikes... I'd love to purchase it.

Boston makes several. Again, either they or great or they are worthless junk. Don't you love the internet? :D

Boston makes several. Again, either they or great or they are worthless junk. Don't you love the internet? :D

I saw some at dickblick.com but I was wondering if Boston has their own website? I couldn't find it anywhere. Are their products only available at other wesites like dickblick?

I was so disgusted with the electric sharpeners in my room this year, I ordered two of Boston KS Multi-Size Manual sharpeners and had them put up. Then I tossed with delight those electric ones in the trash can.

Students from all over the school come to my room at bell breaks to sharpen their pencils. One to two turns and your pencil is perfectly sharpened! These are great. And they don't wear out for thirty years. :)

s0020387_sc7?$sku$