Menu

For all those inundated with zucchini

saraha

12 minutes ago, saraha said:

I make this every year. The zucchini tastes like pineapple. The texture is obviously different than pineapple but when I add the zucchini to a fruit salad or fruit cocktail, it works fantastic!

https://nchfp.uga.edu/how/can_02/zucchini_pineapple.html

I made some of this last year but then was never quite sure how to use it.  When you say fruit salad are you talking like a bowl of assorted fresh/canned fruit mixed together or more the types with sauces and/or jello on it?

4 minutes ago, cjzimmer1 said:

I made some of this last year but then was never quite sure how to use it.  When you say fruit salad are you talking like a bowl of assorted fresh/canned fruit mixed together or more the types with sauces and/or jello on it?

I add it to all those. Random fruit thrown in a bowl, fruit in jello, and mixed with canned fruit cocktail. Mixing it like that adds pineapple flavor but disguises the fact your brain expects a certain texture, if you get what I mean. Like my brain expects it to have the mouth feel of pineapple when I eat it, but when I mix it with other things, there’s all kinds of textures and flavors going on and my brain doesn’t notice the texture isn’t what it expects

eta: ok this sort of sounds like I am making it sound gross, but it’s not gross, just that it tastes so much like pineapple that the texture of the zucchini gives my brain cognizant dissonance 😆 the zucchini doesn’t get mushy or anything 

Edited by saraha
  • Like 1

I saw someone on Youtube do this, she bakes it in sheet pineapple upside down cake once a week all year long. She’s got a big family and they don’t do junk or processed food, but she makes dessert almost every day. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Katy said:

I saw someone on Youtube do this, she bakes it in sheet pineapple upside down cake once a week all year long. She’s got a big family and they don’t do junk or processed food, but she makes dessert almost every day. 

Does she use cubed zucchini or does she slice the zucchini somehow?

Edited by saraha

6 hours ago, saraha said:

Does she use cubed zucchini or does she slice the zucchini somehow?

It was diced into little wedges almost like pineapple. I think maybe she peeled, sliced them the long way into 1/8’s, then chopped into wedges. 

• Like 1