Menu

homemade cleaners

ProudGrandma

I want to switch over my home from store bought cleaners to homemade.  There are so many recipes out there for doing this....with so many different "formulas" that "work best".....how does one know which recipe to try.  I can't afford to try 4 different ones.   Are there certain ingredients that are better at cleaning than others?   If you went down this road....where did you start....where did you land....how did you decide?  Thanks for any and all help!   

I use vinegar/water mixture for general cleaning of hard surfaces (countertops, inside microwave, that sort of thing) 1 part vinegar, approximately 4 parts water. Probably not good to use on tile with grout as I think vinegar is bad for grout.  If any raw meat/egg has been on countertop though, I do pull out the 409 with bleach and use it for that. 

The smell of most commercial cleaners really bother me. 

I joined 'secrets from a housekeeper' group on Facebook and have learned that apparently Dawn dishsoap fixes about every dirty problem. It seems like for every problem involves: Dawn, vinegar, baking soda, hydrogen peroxide.

What surfaces do you have in your house that you want to clean? Because you don’t want to put an acid on stone or grout. And you don’t want to mix a lot of stuff with things that might need to be bleached. 

• Like 1