Menu

Practical Arithmetic Strayer-Upton Math Experiences

Ting Tang

I discovered this older math from researching Charlotte Mason curriculum.  There is a company that provides guides called "Beauty and Truth Math."  The books are numbered 1-3; Book 1 is 3/4th grade, Book 2 is 5/6th grade, and Book 3 is 7/8th grade. However, the company that does the guides has students starting the books a hair sooner and gives a plan for adding Practical Geometry and Elementary Algebra.  

I have my rising 3rd and 5th in mind.  They both used Singapore Dimensions.  I was thinking of outsourcing a lot but am second guessing that, especially for my 5th grader/ASD kiddo.  I was pretty shaky using SD.  I have a new resource I am reading about teaching it, and we could certainly use it again this year I suppose. We like and dislike aspects of it.

But part of me wonders if this Strayer-Upton curriculum might be a good fit for us.  I think I could teach this.  But is it really "enough?"  I wondered if anyone used this math long-term and what the outcome was for future math study?  From what I have looked at, I think it looks pretty good.  We found Mr. D math, and my oldest can use his Pre-Algebra course after 5th grade math.  And I am wondering if a year of S-U might give my next oldest the same opportunity, if we decide.

Just wondered how using this worked out for you.

I have used strayer Upton for years as a supplement to RightStart. I really like it for that. It has good explanations and plenty of drill. My oldest son really likes it. There is less "help" as in script teacher notes extra than new curriculums, but it seems solid. I don't think there is any algebra in it if that worries you. Book 3 has lots of practical math. It is all very straightforward.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, countrymum said:

I have used strayer Upton for years as a supplement to RightStart. I really like it for that. It has good explanations and plenty of drill. My oldest son really likes it. There is less "help" as in script teacher notes extra than new curriculums, but it seems solid. I don't think there is any algebra in it if that worries you. Book 3 has lots of practical math. It is all very straightforward.

Thank you!  Yes, the Beauty and Truth guides I believe have scripting for this series, and I am guessing the modern deficiencies are taken care of with the other geometry and algebra books (even though they are old).  I hate to say this but I felt like last year was so shaky that I do not even know if the Singapore methods "stuck."  What probably stuck were the algorithms that we'd find in traditional books.  I would just love a solid foundation that would enable them to take algebra in junior high (7th or 8th grade at the latest). 

52 minutes ago, Zoo Keeper said:

I haven't used SU math, but I did a deep dive into researching it once.  😉  I found this blog post about it to be interesting (in a good way).

Thanks so much!  I hadn't come across this blog post before!  Ironically, yeah, I have thought about "backing up," even though my oldest did Singapore Math at grade level last year.  I think my 3rd grader would have no issues, especially starting from the beginning.  I am also okay with them needing to copy math problems.  Hey, I had to do that, lol.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Nm. said:

What about Singapore dimensions with the videos?

I’m considering this, too! Those guides start the SU books earlier than the suggested grade levels, so my daughter would be “behind” in that curriculum already if I want scripting. So I could stick with Dimensions. My rising 5th just struggled the most with it, so he keeps saying he is bad at math. 😞

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Zoo Keeper said:

I haven't used SU math, but I did a deep dive into researching it once.  😉  I found this blog post about it to be interesting (in a good way).

I find it interesting that she felt the need to comment that there wasn't room on the pages to write **in the book.** Do all y'all young whippernappers not understand what a textbook is? versus a workbook? 🙂

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Ellie said:

I find it interesting that she felt the need to comment that there wasn't room on the pages to write **in the book.** Do all y'all young whippernappers not understand what a textbook is? versus a workbook? 🙂

Haha, well, my kids understand that! We’d do Singapore textbook problems on the board, and then they’d write in workbooks. 

4 hours ago, Nm. said:

Rod and Staff- I’ve heard of people using it through grade 6 book and moving into algebra after that.

I’ve heard of this, too. We didn’t enjoy CLE for my oldest, but I do think he will do Mr. D math. I know it’s bad to jump around in math. I’m also concerned these SU books are used sooner with the Guide book, so I don’t want to backtrack, kinda like what the blog post writer said… Rainbow resource lists 3/4, 5/6, and 7/8 for these books. I don’t know why I feel math was incomplete after a year of Singapore. 

I guess I am not sure why you are switching everyone away from Singapore dimensions?  It’s looks like a great program.  It’s incremental.  It teaches the algorithm as well as conceptual.  It has review.  It has a teacher’s manual.  You’ve already invested in multiple levels.  All you need is someone to teach it since you are overloaded with small children (videos)? Can you Cut back on the number of problems for your DS who struggles to get it all done?  From someone who’s been there- take a total break from researching and see if you can make it work before jumping ship.  1 year in a math program is not enough time!

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Nm. said:

I guess I am not sure why you are switching everyone away from Singapore dimensions?  It’s looks like a great program.  It’s incremental.  It teaches the algorithm as well as conceptual.  It has review.  It has a teacher’s manual.  You’ve already invested in multiple levels.  All you need is someone to teach it since you are overloaded with small children (videos)? Can you Cut back on the number of problems for your DS who struggles to get it all done?  From someone who’s been there- take a total break from researching and see if you can make it work before jumping ship.  1 year in a math program is not enough time!

Thanks very much.  Yes, my daughter is adamant about sticking with Dimensions anyway.  I just do not know if a lot of it stuck, but I do take comfort in knowing each year builds on the previous.  I have also considered reducing the problems.  I would definitely have to get the videos this year. Even if I sat with them, it might be less time.  It is embarrassing to admit, but I couldn't figure out some of the problems myself (4th grade had challenging world problems).  Even a couple of the second grade pattern lessons threw me through a loop.  I did buy the Elementary Mathematics book to read myself on the method, but I am still not feeling confident.  Maybe that is why I didn't think they got enough out of the year. 

2 minutes ago, Nm. said:

Yes I need the videos as much as they do.  I’m sure they got enough out of it.  It’s really not that abstract.  It’s a little bit more traditional than primary.  It should be challenging.

I did like how it presented the traditional algorithms.  Sometimes I felt a lesson would be very conceptual in its entirety, and then the next one would present the algorithm, if that made sense.  And I wanted it to do the opposite, lol.  

Also please don’t stress the math sequence.  My brother didn’t have enough math for some of his engineering courses and guess what?  He needed 1 extra semester… it’s not the end of the world.  They won’t even remember it after they have a job they love…. If that’s what they want.

Edited by Nm.
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Nm. said:

Also please don’t stress the math sequence.  My brother didn’t have enough math for some of his engineering courses and guess what?  He needed 1 extra semester… it’s not the end of the world.  They won’t even remember it after they have a job they love…. If that’s what they want.

Thank you!  My husband nor I remember elementary math.  We were not in any accelerated math classes to get us to algebra 1 in 8th grade, so I am trying not to stress too much. I still cannot figure out the Beauty & Truth Math guides. It doesn't seem like you could step into that program.  Others at least have review from prior years.  

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Nm. said:

Most math programs present the concept first before the algorithm.  

I could be imagining issues. haha! Well, the vintage books are cheap. I thought about getting them for the summer to look over  and then we could always continue with Singapore. 

Doesn’t hurt!  At some point you’ll realize math is math 😂 but having the same scope and sequence for awhile helps in the long run.  I printed tgtb for summer/ to use for breaks with math mammoth.  Sometimes a fresh layout is needed.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Ting Tang said:

I still cannot figure out the Beauty & Truth Math guides. It doesn't seem like you could step into that program.

There's a week-by-week scope and sequence chart on the website and even within the guides, they tell you what will be covered each week so you could just pick up wherever you need to. Also, each week has 2-3 review days, and each term has an entire week dedicated to review. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, wisdomandtreasures said:

There's a week-by-week scope and sequence chart on the website and even within the guides, they tell you what will be covered each week so you could just pick up wherever you need to. Also, each week has 2-3 review days, and each term has an entire week dedicated to review. 

Thanks very much!  The company also emailed me, so that was helpful.  But I wonder for my rising 5th grader's sake if just starting in Book 2 from the start without these guides would be wise.  I realize the guides help make it more Charlotte Mason, but he is not neurotypical (ASD) and straightforward might just be best for him.  I realize switching math all the time isn't wise, but he already feels he is "bad at math."  I'm wondering for him if I should have stuck with procedural math.  He asks to go back to that kind.

Oh on that note, do you think Book 2 is below grade level for grade 5?  BT uses it 4-6 I believe.  But Rainbow Resource and a couple of other say grades 5-6.

Edited by Ting Tang

B&T guides really are not needed. SU is written to the student. I actually think the books are better without the guides.... more systematic and I feel B&T adds fluff and not as systematic.

Just add in some Geomotry pages  from a workbook every now and then.

I would start the 5th grader in book 2. I think it is about right, you could always skip over some sections not needed.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ting Tang said:

Thanks very much!  The company also emailed me, so that was helpful.  But I wonder for my rising 5th grader's sake if just starting in Book 2 from the start without these guides would be wise.  I realize the guides help make it more Charlotte Mason, but he is not neurotypical (ASD) and straightforward might just be best for him.  I realize switching math all the time isn't wise, but he already feels he is "bad at math."  I'm wondering for him if I should have stuck with procedural math.  He asks to go back to that kind.

Oh on that note, do you think Book 2 is below grade level for grade 5?  BT uses it 4-6 I believe.  But Rainbow Resource and a couple of other say grades 5-6.

Rod and Staff might be good for him also. Kate Snow was using it to tutor a girl who was struggling in math and said she recommended it for kids or mom's who needed straightforward traditional math.  Memoria press uses it for all kids and they seem to do well too......not you need another idea but it sounds like strayer Upton or rod and staff may fit your student well. (Or fit you well....teacher clicking with math is very important both these programs are good....you don't need fancy math to do a good job and for your kids to succeed;)

• Like 4