Menu

COVID testing: what is now recommended?

Shoeless

DS and I have been traveling for the last week. We masked in the airport and at museums, and mostly ate at our hosts home. There were 2 brief meals at the airport and a snack on the plane. I tested myself yesterday before travel and again today, (both negative). I feel fine and so does DS. No known exposure, but I figure odds are that someone in our path probably had COVID. 

I was going to test again tomorrow, and then figured we were in the clear if it was negative? Or should I test again past that? I can't figure out what the guidance is anymore. 

I mean, yes, it’s true — most people don’t test any more. Or mask. Or worry about it.

DH and I do, though. We also mask. Immune compromised here and if I or DS catch it we need to know early. With lots of reading here and anecdata, we have a system — if we’ve traveled, flown, etc or DH has eaten in restaurants and/or been in crowds and unable to mask (for work — it happens) — we test on Day 2 and Day 5 and call it good.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, Spryte said:

I mean, yes, it’s true — most people don’t test any more. Or mask. Or worry about it.

DH and I do, though. We also mask. Immune compromised here and if I or DS catch it we need to know early. With lots of reading here and anecdata, we have a system — if we’ve traveled, flown, etc or DH has eaten in restaurants and/or been in crowds and unable to mask (for work — it happens) — we test on Day 2 and Day 5 and call it good.

Thanks, this seems reasonable.  I'll have DS test tomorrow because he spent time with younger, less-careful kids, and I'll do day 2 and 5, as well. 

• Like 2

It depends on your comfort level, but our waste water levels are almost as low as they've been since the start of the pandemic.  We've been all systems go for the past 6 weeks.  I have masked on a flight and in big performance venues and crowded transit but mostly not.   Test with any evidence of symptoms (which during our spring allergy season has happened a bit).  

Edited by catz
  • Like 2

25 minutes ago, catz said:

It depends on your comfort level, but our waste water levels are almost as low as they've been since the start of the pandemic.  We've been all systems go for the past 6 weeks.  I have masked on a flight and in big performance venues but mostly not.   Test with any evidence of symptoms (which during our spring allergy season has happened a bit).  

So envious that you have access to waste water testing! 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Shoeless said:

We.dont have that testing here, either. We are in a semi-rural area, so most have septic. 

It must be nice to have that metric! Our area never embraced it, or any precautions, for that matter. But a local urgent care doc recently told me she hadn’t seen a positive Covid test in two weeks, so I’m taking that as a good sign.

I hope you all stay negative, and that you had a great time on your trip!

Edited by Spryte
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1