Menu

Birds are migrating, and we can help keep them safe

Innisfree

10 minutes ago, Katy said:

Do those anti-light pollution farm house lamps my neighbors have help, or does it need to be dark?

I don’t know, but there’s more information on the page they link.

I didn’t know about light pollution causing migration problems until recently either, but it seems like it really does. I’m glad we can do something simple to help.

This is from the linked page. It doesn’t mention anti-light pollution lamps, but it sounds like the less light, the better. Those might be better than other lights, though.

Guidelines for EVERYONE:

• Turn off all non-essential lights from 11:00 p.m. to 6:00 a.m. each night during migration season.
  • Do not use landscape lighting to light up trees or gardens where birds may be resting.
  • For essential lights (like security lighting) use the following dark skies friendly lighting practices:
    • Aim lights down
    • Use lighting shields to direct light downwards and to avoid light shining into the sky or trees
    • Use motion detectors and sensors so lights are only on when you need them 
    • Close blinds at night to reduce the amount of light being emitted from windows
  • Share your success on social media and with the press, your commitment to go lights out to save birds is newsworthy.

Additional Guidelines for Buildings Taller Than 3 Stories: 

• Extinguish or dim: Exterior and decorative lighting (i.e. spotlights, logos, clock faces, greenhouses, and antenna lighting); lobby/atrium lighting; and lighting in perimeter rooms on all levels of the building.
  • Avoid: Floodlights; illuminating interior plants or fountains, and unoccupied floors; scheduling cleaning crews after dark; and blue-rich white light emissions (lighting with a color temperature of over 3000 Kelvin).
  • Use: Desk lamps or task lighting rather than overhead lights; blinking lighting in place of continuously burning lights; and warm light sources (less than 3000 Kelvin) for outdoor lighting.

Edited by Innisfree
  • Thanks 4

Would it be rude for me to print this out and stick it in my neighbors mail slot? They keep ALL their house lights blazing and a security light on until the wee hours. No idea why. I can't imagine their electric bill. 

This is a fantastic reminder--thanks for sharing! 

10 minutes ago, MEmama said:

Would it be rude for me to print this out and stick it in my neighbors mail slot? They keep ALL their house lights blazing and a security light on until the wee hours. No idea why. I can't imagine their electric bill. 

This is a fantastic reminder--thanks for sharing! 

I saw an editorial a week or so ago written by someone whose neighbors did something similar. He actually got interested in why bright lights cause problems, which led to his writing about it. I’ll see if I can find the editorial and link it.

Probably how you go about sharing the information is important.

Here it is, no paywall:

https://wapo.st/3I2EI0J

• Thanks 1

On 5/3/2023 at 6:20 PM, Innisfree said:

This is from the linked page. It doesn’t mention anti-light pollution lamps, but it sounds like the less light, the better. Those might be better than other lights, though.

Guidelines for EVERYONE:

• Turn off all non-essential lights from 11:00 p.m. to 6:00 a.m. each night during migration season.
  • Do not use landscape lighting to light up trees or gardens where birds may be resting.
  • For essential lights (like security lighting) use the following dark skies friendly lighting practices:
    • Aim lights down
    • Use lighting shields to direct light downwards and to avoid light shining into the sky or trees
    • Use motion detectors and sensors so lights are only on when you need them 
    • Close blinds at night to reduce the amount of light being emitted from windows
  • Share your success on social media and with the press, your commitment to go lights out to save birds is newsworthy.

Additional Guidelines for Buildings Taller Than 3 Stories: 

• Extinguish or dim: Exterior and decorative lighting (i.e. spotlights, logos, clock faces, greenhouses, and antenna lighting); lobby/atrium lighting; and lighting in perimeter rooms on all levels of the building.
  • Avoid: Floodlights; illuminating interior plants or fountains, and unoccupied floors; scheduling cleaning crews after dark; and blue-rich white light emissions (lighting with a color temperature of over 3000 Kelvin).
  • Use: Desk lamps or task lighting rather than overhead lights; blinking lighting in place of continuously burning lights; and warm light sources (less than 3000 Kelvin) for outdoor lighting.

I couldn’t find the link where you got this list. Can you link me?

37 minutes ago, KSera said:

I couldn’t find the link where you got this list. Can you link me?

It’s the bird cast.info address linked in the first tweet. Hope this works.

https://birdcast.info/science-to-action/lights-out/

ETA: Actually it’s under one of the headings at the bottom of that page, the one about “how you can go lights out”. It’s confusing because when I get to the part where you can enter your name, I assumed at first that was the bottom of the page. There’s a lot below that, though, including more links, like what I copied above.

Edited by Innisfree
  • Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, Innisfree said:

ETA: Actually it’s under one of the headings at the bottom of that page, the one about “how you can go lights out”. It’s confusing because when I get to the part where you can enter your name, I assumed at first that was the bottom of the page. There’s a lot below that, though, including more links, like what I copied above.

Now I found it. Thanks. 

• Like 1

On 5/3/2023 at 6:17 PM, Katy said:

Do those anti-light pollution farm house lamps my neighbors have help, or does it need to be dark?

They show a picture near the bottom of the page of that style light as what’s recommended if you need to have lights at night. 

• Like 1