Menu

May craft thread

4 minutes ago, Jane in NC said:

That was not in the pattern layout but in the sample shown on the pattern itself.

The fabric I used was purchased as a sales rack bolt end from a local fabric store. I wasn't charged for the extra bit over the integer yardage. Then I found that I could do a more efficient layout.  End result?  I have some extra fabric. I think I'll make a pair of pajama shorts for myself. Certainly a win-win from my perspective.

Fabulous! Plus, with princess seams the pattern wouldn't have matched across easily anyway, so you get extra aesthetics bonus points 👍

My dd asked for pajama pants and picked some fabric. Today, as I was cutting out I cut 4 backs, instead of 2 front 2 back. 🤦🏼‍♀️ I was able to squeeze out two pairs instead of one, but this wasn't my original plan for the whole day. 😄

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jane in NC said:

Before @Melissa in Australia starts the June thread, I thought I'd post the summer shift I made using a pattern from Sew to Grow, the Fremantle Frock. It has pockets tucked into the princess seams--a clever idea indeed. 

I had only sewn princess seams once before and wasn't happy with the result.  Searching online for advice, I read that the best method is outlined in the old Reader's Digest Complete Guide to Sewing.  I pulled my late '70's copy off the shelf and followed their advice: edge stitch within the seam allowance and then hand baste the seams.  It worked like a charm!

That curved hem has a facing. Another clever idea.

Sew to Grow is an Australian company but Lindsey Rae has some connections to NC which is how she got on my radar.

Fremantle.jpg

Love it

Always great to have pockets

• Like 1

Don't have completed projects to show yet, but have been making quilts like crazy. They are all just about at the quilting stage. One daisy scrap quilt as you go will be finished in a few days 

A clown quilt for my grandson- it is basted ready to quilt 

A scrap strip queen size qillt - need to put the border on then baste and quilt

My moth quilt that I have hand applique  has only 2 moths to go. Then I will have 50, enough to sew the whole thing together 

And the Victorian crazy quilt all squared are finished and I need to put it together. I think it will have to be a wall hanging. 

I need to use up a tad more scrap fabric before I permit myself to sew another garment. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 5/29/2023 at 6:54 PM, Melissa in Australia said:

I need to use up a tad more scrap fabric before I permit myself to sew another garment. 

I need to use up fabric in the stash before buying more.  Or that is what I was claiming until this morning when an email from the local fabric store arrived. It said that they have too many bolt ends (4 yards or less) and will offer a 30% discount on any bolt end purchase. This store sells mostly quilting fabric but they do have a selection of garment fabrics including some lovely lawns, knits, double gauze... What a temptation!

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, Jane in NC said:

I need to use up fabric in the stash before buying more.  Or that is what I was claiming until this morning when an email from the local fabric store arrived. It said that they have too many bolt ends (4 yards or less) and will offer a 30% discount on any bolt end purchase. This store sells mostly quilting fabric but they do have a selection of garment fabrics including some lovely lawns, knits, double gauze... What a temptation!

My fabric shop had a 50% off sale and sent me a voucher if I spend over $100 I get $40 off. 

I couldn't resist. 

• Like 3