Menu

What grammar for this situation?

I am looking for a comprehensive grammar that isn't overwhelming that...

1. can combine a relatively advanced yet dyslexic 8th grader and a grammar challenged 11th grader (I know they will need me to best approach the subject and I only want to teach it one time a day)

2. Will be comprehensive --mostly important for the 11th grader -- and will help him prepare for ACT/SAT

A few considerations:

I like Easy Grammar-- using it with younger dd this year. Would Easy Grammar Plus work for this?

I have Analytical Grammar. I remember it being a lot. but it has been years since I have used it. When I did it with older dd we did it over 3 years . . . would doing it all in one year be too much? and again, it seems tedious. 

Compass Classroom's Grammar for writers???

I'm not sure what your grammar goals are. 

For ACT or SAT practice,  I highly recommend the Erica Meltzer books, but they are test prep, not curriculum.   Its assumed you know the grammar part and need help parsing out how to figure out the correct answer when given options or why one phrase is better than another.  

In the past I used Saxon/Hake 8th Grade Grammar and Growing with Grammar 8th grade as a workbook style review in high school, along with Grammarly and editing their own writing.  I need to pick something for my 10th graders to review next year, so I'd love to hear other reviews.  I let them have 9th grade off grammar, so think we need to review again.  

19 hours ago, BusyMom5 said:

I'm not sure what your grammar goals are. 

For ACT or SAT practice,  I highly recommend the Erica Meltzer books, but they are test prep, not curriculum.   Its assumed you know the grammar part and need help parsing out how to figure out the correct answer when given options or why one phrase is better than another.  

In the past I used Saxon/Hake 8th Grade Grammar and Growing with Grammar 8th grade as a workbook style review in high school, along with Grammarly and editing their own writing.  I need to pick something for my 10th graders to review next year, so I'd love to hear other reviews.  I let them have 9th grade off grammar, so think we need to review again.  

She does have a grammar book that isn't test prep: https://thecriticalreader.com/product/how-to-write-for-class-a-students-guide-to-grammar-punctuation-and-style/

• Like 1

• 1 month later...