Menu

Indulge my silly complaint: pants and high waists

Ginevra

22 hours ago, Quill said:

Please just let me whine and kvetch about a silly thing while I’m maxed out on bandwidth about not-silly things. 

I thought “we” had all concluded that high waisted pants/jeans look bad on…well, everyone pretty much? But these @$!?& clothing designers constantly cycle through the details: rise length, flare v. Straight leg, long v. ankle length, dark v. Light wash….It’s so annoying. I want to buy a new pair of jeans but I don’t want wide leg, don’t want super skinny, don’t want ankle length and don’t want high waist. So maybe I just can’t buy new jeans for four years when the designers, knowing everyone has bought high waisted jeans will once again tell everyone they make your a$$ look the size of an aircraft carrier and that now they can go back to a mid rise. 

🙄🤷🏻‍♀️

I think we're all supposed to strive for aircraft carriers now? Or is that on the way out? I love some mid rise jeans. How come mid rise straight legs that don't drag on the floor are never in?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Both dd and I are very long waisted, so we’re happy to have high-waisted pants back again. However, I’d like to see all rises just available all the time….low, mid, high. People have different body shapes, I don’t see why can’t we just have multiple types of pants available all the time. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 3/22/2023 at 11:28 AM, livetoread said:

Our local Goodwill has several long racks of jeans. I always find what I like after trying on a ridiculous number of pairs, and all the styles are there.

I have never had good luck with jeans from GW. There are not usually a lot of choices in my size and they are typically something of a particular trend I won’t wear at all, like “destroyed” jeans or those kind with bedazzled back pockets that were “in” several years ago. 

• Like 1

Someone will have to pry my skinny jeans from my cold, dead hands. I’m not going back to wide leg. They can’t make me! I actually don’t mind a higher waist, as long as there’s no puffy bunching or pleats. Or tucking-in of shirts. 😉

(As an extreme pear-shape, to visually continue the width of my thighs down to my ankles via wide-leg pants….nope. That’s just a nope.)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

57 minutes ago, alisoncooks said:

Someone will have to pry my skinny jeans from my cold, dead hands. I’m not going back to wide leg. They can’t make me! I actually don’t mind a higher waist, as long as there’s no puffy bunching or pleats. Or tucking-in of shirts. 😉

(As an extreme pear-shape, to visually continue the width of my thighs down to my ankles via wide-leg pants….nope. That’s just a nope.)

I'm between a pear and an hourglass wide legs generally do not look good on me either. They make my legs look huge. I  have hips at least 10 inches bigger than my waist. I have a good sized butt. I'm naturally hippy and work hard to maintain muscles (except now when I'm off exercising due to an injury). I like somewhere between skinny and straight leg. I don't care for super high-waisted but I want pants that sit at my belly button which with being short-waisted is somewhat high-waisted.

Really the high fashion stuff is often extremes that only look good on models. For us mere mortals a wide range of styles are going to be flattering because bodies are shaped differently.

• Like 3

High-waisted pants literally cause me pain. I am short (not quite 5'2") and currently about 110 pounds. However, no matter what my weight, I have always found high-waisted pants extremely uncomfortable. I do have a somewhat broad ribcage for my size, so maybe that's part of the problem? Whenever I sit or bend while wearing high-waisted pants, the waistband hits my ribcage.

I like a pretty bland, mid-rise, straight-legged, full-length jean, personally. 

I can find them at Lands End and sometimes places like Loft and Ann Taylor. On a recent shopping expedition, I found some at the Old Navy outlet, although I am currently a small enough size that it's hit or miss to find a great selection at a physical store. 

Edited by Jenny in Florida
  • Like 1

On 3/21/2023 at 6:12 PM, KidsHappen said:

I am tall with a high waist and I carry all of my extra weight in my belly plus I really have no butt at all. I can only wear high waisted pants. If I buy mid waist then I need a larger size for the waist to fit around my belly and then they are too big everywhere else, plus they always feel like they are falling down. I also have the problem that shirts aren't long enough so high waisted pants keep them covered. Overall they give me more of an hourglass shape and since I wear longer shirts they don't show a big expanse of denim in the rear that screams mom jeans.

I have changed to more stretchy materials with elastic waists or tummy tamer fronts. Also yoga type pants and stretch pants with straight legs made out of the same kind of material. I also have some looser fitting or thicker legging type pants that I like. I have stocked up on these kinds of pants over the last few years that they have been popular so that I will never have to buy pants again. I also won't be caught during a dry spell with only a couple of old worn out pants. 

So funny because I would describe myself the same way EXCEPT that for me, that is a description of high waisted pants (where I often have to go up 2! sizes) and mid-rise usually fit me better🤣 

IMO the difference is I am too thick-waisted for high-waisted pants -- since this has been true all my life, even back in the day when I only weighed 130 lbs.  

What I wish is that there was some place you could put your measurements in and find the perfect pants & jeans (not made to order but more of a "you should try X brand") instead of having to try on kazillion.

• Like 1