Menu

Spelling Programs- 1st grade

BusyMom5

I think my Kindergartener would like to start a spelling program, and I'm just starting to look at options.  She is the last of 6, so I know what I liked in the past but its been a long time since I looked at what is available.  I actually made up my own for 1st grade with the others, then switched to Soaring with Spelling once they were reading well.  One struggled,  so I have tried many different programs through the years. 

Here is what I'm looking for:

Different activity pages each week, not predictable or just writing words- crossword puzzles, fill in the blank, coloring, alphabetical order, etc.

CVC words, into CVC-E as well as a few sight words like said, was, etc.  

Workbook style

Easy for me to teach, then have her do activities on her own.

She seems to catch on quickly, and will be working on AAR2.   

How about memoria press traditional Spelling. If you don't want to teach it as much you may not need the cards. MP uses it for phonics as well as spelling. You could try just the student and teacher books first.   https://www.rainbowresource.com/category/4597/Traditional-Spelling.html

I actually have a teacher book for sale on homeschool classifides..... I'm using All about spelling instead. It is not at all what you are describing though;)

• Like 1

I’d second MP’s Traditional Spelling. The pages are the same format for each week, and they do just write the words on two of the days, but I am really liking it. It is simple, quick, and effective. There are different activities to do with your kid each day (if you want, sometimes I don’t get around to it), so even if the pages feel monotonous, you can have a bit of fun with the activities. Once DS got used to the format, he can mostly do it on his own. I have tried a number of programs, but this is the only one I have really liked.

• Like 1

Would something like this work? 

https://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Spelling-Activities-Practice-Sheets-Word-Work-for-Any-List-998948

Word lists aren’t included in the TPT pack, but for CVC/CVCE maybe you could use the Aldine Speller? It’s free in the public domain.  This wouldn’t be completely prep free for you, but once you print the pdf and breakdown the word list it could be put on auto pilot. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, AnneGG said:

Would something like this work? 

https://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Spelling-Activities-Practice-Sheets-Word-Work-for-Any-List-998948

Word lists aren’t included in the TPT pack, but for CVC/CVCE maybe you could use the Aldine Speller? It’s free in the public domain.  This wouldn’t be completely prep free for you, but once you print the pdf and breakdown the word list it could be put on auto pilot. 

How unique!  Do you just type in the words on whatever page?  Is there a way to edit the number of words per week? How hard is it to edit?  With my big kids I made my own,  this would have been so much easier!  

Thank you for the suggestions- I'm going to look through all of them.  I haven't looked at any if those before. 

10 hours ago, BusyMom5 said:

How unique!  Do you just type in the words on whatever page?  Is there a way to edit the number of words per week? How hard is it to edit?  With my big kids I made my own,  this would have been so much easier!  

Thank you for the suggestions- I'm going to look through all of them.  I haven't looked at any if those before. 

That particular pack isn’t editable. The child would use their word list to complete the page. 

This is a sampler for an editable pack. 

https://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Free-Spring-Editable-Spelling-Practice-Activities-for-Any-Word-List-3762599

• Like 1