Menu

Key to percents reviews

countrymum

What do you think of these books. 

Here is the background. My son , 11 used mostly Rightstart from K-5th (A-F) he always struggled with the drawing and as I predicted G was not good. We moved over to math mammoth this year and he has really struggled with the ratio and percent chapters. He can totally convert fractions to decimals to percents. He understands fractions as division. When it comes to actually using percents and making ratios from story problems he starts guessing.... something is missing. Every time I go back and explain some bit he seems to get it and does well...the struggles a day or two later again....

I was thinking of trying some of the keys to books and seeing if I can find and fill in holes?? Or something.

Agreeing.

The Keys To... series are great for showing multiple different explanations so that eventually way of explaining clicks; and it's gentle practice for solidifying the concept before moving on to other topics in math.

Also, don't feel you have to complete every single problem and every single workbook in the series -- they are meant for practice until the student clicks, and then you can stop. Perhaps occasionally return and do a bit as a review. But it is okay to not finish if the student no longer needs the extra practice and explanations. 😉

We used parts of the 3 series of Keys to Fractions, Decimals, and Percents. It was really helpful for DS#2 to see how fractions are a form of division, and how decimals and percents actually work as special types of fractions. It helped bring together those topics for him.

Edited by Lori D.