Menu

WP Users

Um, just found this! I am specifically looking at Hideaways in History for K...does anyone know where I can see a sample of this? Any glowing reviews?

I LOVE WinterPromise. We are doing WinterPromise Animals and Their Worlds this year along side Five in a Row....and I am considering WinterPromise American Story I next year or Sonlight.

I personally don't think I would use Hideways in History for K...especially since your son will be a young K. They use all four volumes of Story of the World for Hideaways in History which can be alot of reading to squeeze into one year. There are very little picture books included and I have heard alot of people complain about the pace of reading. I have also heard it can cost around $200 just to buy all the boxes necessary to make the hideaways. But I have heard that the hidaways are alot of fun and the kids really enjoy them.

I think Animals and Their Worlds is a much more appropriate WP program for K. I am using it this year with my 8, 7, & 5 year olds...it is amazing how much information they have retained. But...I have heard of a lot of people who love/hate this program. I personally think it is ok...but I am looking more forward to American Story I. A lot of people are saving Hideaways in History to use after Animals and their worlds...or they choose not to do it at all.

I really recommend you look at WinterPromise's message boards or yahoo group. All the ladies there are so helpful.

Summer.

I also thought that I would add...I did stop WinterPromise for 10 weeks and do Tapestry of Grace this year. We used Story of the World as our spine for Tapestry of Grace and it was perfect for my seven year old but completely flew over my five year olds head. She enjoyed the stories, mapwork, coloring in Story of the World...but she didn't understand or retain most of the history readings. I loved Story of the World and have been still considering continuing using it with my seven year old:rolleyes:. But it just wasn't right for my five year old...and she is very advanced for her age. HTH.

We just decided to ditch HIH. The idea is good, but in reality it's just waaaayyyy too much and my kids are 2nd and K. I added in a lot of picture books from the SOTW AG and that was our saving grace with HIH. Otherwise, I don't think we'd have used it for more than a month. I had planned to take at least 2 years to cover it, so we weren't trying to cover any "week" in less than 2 or 3 real weeks, but even that meant that history took over our life completely. I'm actually a history buff, but there are other things I think are important to do with young children and HIH limited our read-alouds too much.

I just went through my SL1 and SL2 shelves and organized them to do a year of world history using an older Usborne elementary history encyclopedia and Gombrich's Little History as spines. We're all looking forward to balancing history with a bit of geography and just-for-fun read-alouds. I do think we'll use the extra history readers that I bought to go with HIH because they enjoyed the Cleopatra one and they have an engaging format.

I don't recommend that you try to do SL 1&2 next year, the SL levels are age-based, not academic grade based. In fact my dd might not listen to all of the books although she's a veteran of Cores PK 3/4 through K. You could consider SL's PK cores because they are a lot of fun. Another option is Beautiful Feet's Early American History. The guidebook is pretty useless if your kids are on the young side of the target audience, but the booklist is great! We did about half of it last year along with FIAR and all of us enjoyed it.

I'm using AW with my 7 & 4 dss (turns 5 tomorrow). We are really enjoying it!!! Because I put my craft closet together back in the summer, I just open and go. If there's a craft to do (which is what my 7 yo likes the best), it's easy to accomplish.

I'm glad we're not doing a rigorous history this year. I mainly wanted to combine my younger 2. My older 2 boys are doing Quest for the Middle Ages. But of course my boys love animals so it's been a good fit!

I *think* someone said HIH is going to be changed a bit for next year. Someone else may know more though. Keep asking!

HTH

Tiffani

Ok well it sounds like you have decided maybe to do Animal Worlds instead but if you are still considering HIH I thought I'd post a link HERE to my instructors guide & WP exclusives that I have up for sale. I bought it intending to incorporate it with my little guy as I did SOTW with his older brothers and it didn't work out for me - I ended up just having little guy sit in and do what he wanted to do and never really got into using the HIH.

We just decided to ditch HIH. The idea is good, but in reality it's just waaaayyyy too much and my kids are 2nd and K.

Bummer...it seemed like it would be a real fun broad intro. before we could use before dissecting the time periods. Doesn't sound too broad, though! :)

I *think* someone said HIH is going to be changed a bit for next year.

I too had hoped that WinterPromise would redo Hidaways in History. But here WinterPromise made it sound that they wouldn't be making many changes to the program.

I will fourth AW. I did it...Jennifer when was that? I think we finished a little less than a year ago. (What is that about the mind going first...no that wouldn't be right I think my body went first ;) ) Anyway it was a great fit for all but my youngest.

I wouldn't hesitate to do HIH with my 5th grader, but I couldn't imagine doing it with a K student. IMO it would be best for 2nd-4th grade, and doable with 1st and K following along as long as you don't expect too much from them. I actually still allow my ds to check out of history much of the time, and will continue to do so till he is officially 1st grade next fall.

Heather

We did Animals and their Worlds when my kids were in 2nd on down to toddler. They LOVED it. I also used FIAR along with it and it all worked out really well. This year we just added Sonlight 3+4 for Am history and they really love it. I like Sonlight LA a little better that WP.

Has anyone REALLY liked HiH? I would love to hear why you liked it and what made it stand out for you and your kids. I have been eyeing it, but have no idea where it would fit in.

Bummer...it seemed like it would be a real fun broad intro. before we could use before dissecting the time periods. Doesn't sound too broad, though! :)

I was really excited about that idea too! I was positively drooling over the idea of HIH in the catalog until I started reading the WP message boards. Some of the other WP programs work without the spine. I wonder if HIH would work this way, or if someone has tweaked it to schedule different readings. I am tempted to buy those exclusives and feel free to tweak.;)

Animals and their worlds: I looked into this one too. We ended up doing our own world geography (including animals) and cultures. It is working really well with my library. Some people get tired of doing so much on animals and have added in a geography program like Galloping the Globe or WP's own Children Around the World, then take two years to complete both. I have seen many really, really happy with that approach.

I just love our WP Science program. It is amazing and I can't rave about it enough. I am excited to use IRL with DS when he starts Pre-school, and we plan to use almost all of the WP history programs, but the K programs don't excite me.

I value everyone's opinion, really I do. I showed all the programs to dh that I was considering when he came home last night and we both agreed that we want to go with HiH. :scared:

Don't get me wrong, we are not going to do the program nearly to it's entirety, however, I had in my head exactly what I want to do, and this fits it to a "T".

I'd much rather have a buffet of ideas and choose what I want to do, then try to come up with things on my own. I'm not creative that way. I thought we'd go with MFW K, but just haven't had peace about it. You know when things feel right and when they don't.

I plan on reading the SOTW myself, taking dc to the library to get stories on the weekly topic and then picking some of the activities. Making forts and re-enactment sounds great. I guess maybe it's kind of for myself, with my ds getting a little taste. :)

Thank you all for your opinions, though...I really consider everything that everyone says.

I value everyone's opinion, really I do. I showed all the programs to dh that I was considering when he came home last night and we both agreed that we want to go with HiH. :scared:

Don't get me wrong, we are not going to do the program nearly to it's entirety, however, I had in my head exactly what I want to do, and this fits it to a "T".

I'd much rather have a buffet of ideas and choose what I want to do, then try to come up with things on my own. I'm not creative that way. I thought we'd go with MFW K, but just haven't had peace about it. You know when things feel right and when they don't.

I plan on reading the SOTW myself, taking dc to the library to get stories on the weekly topic and then picking some of the activities. Making forts and re-enactment sounds great. I guess maybe it's kind of for myself, with my ds getting a little taste. :)

Thank you all for your opinions, though...I really consider everything that everyone says.

That's great!!! Don't apologize, we'll all celebrate w/ you! The beauty of hsing is it's YOUR school!!!! I hope you will share w/ us all the wonderful things you experience w/ your kids.

Go for it and have fun!!!