Menu

To contact or not to contact

LifeLovePassion

I had an interview and second interview before Christmas. After the holidays I heard that I did not get the role as they selected someone else but that they were continuing their expansion process so I should continue to look for new positions with the company. It is a smaller company with under 20 employees. I just looked today and there are only four roles open, one of which is the same position I applied to. I don't know if it is the original listing or if it has been reposted. 

Is this something you think I should connect with the person who interviewed me about or do I just let it go and the company go for now so I don't burn any potential future bridges? I am at a loss and I don't know what is proper/ what is protocol. Help me, Hive!

I would apply again and connect with the person. Just a "Hey I saw this position available again, I'm still interested."

Sometimes things don't work out with the original person and "so much time has passed" that they don't know if the previous candidates are still interested. Other times they just forget to take down listings. 

• Like 16

I would contact the person for clarification. In my first job out of college, I was hired for a second position that opened up closely after the first one, and they didn’t have firm permission for a second hire when they had to decide on a final candidate. They asked me to hold on, and I didn’t get other jobs in the meantime. It turned out that the projects I got to work on by being hired second were really awesome. Best job responsibilities/projects and fit for my skills that I ever had. The other hire was also a new grad but older—went back to school later in life. They also weren’t sure I would be assertive, which became a joke later. 

• Like 6
  • Haha 2

18 hours ago, Clarita said:

I would apply again and connect with the person. Just a "Hey I saw this position available again, I'm still interested."

Sometimes things don't work out with the original person and "so much time has passed" that they don't know if the previous candidates are still interested. Other times they just forget to take down listings. 

Would it make a difference if the position was never relisted but rather still be the original listing. Or am I just overthinking it in my head?

Would you include a recap of skills/why you should pick me section or just keep the e-mail to asking about the current availability? Why is this so hard. Maybe because I really need a change and want it to work out so badly. 

ETA I just found on LinkedIn that the position is not listed, it is only listed on their website. 

Edited by LifeLovePassion

@LifeLovePassion

If it was me, I would definitely reach out via email to the original contact person, with something like this (and with my resume and cover letter attached again):

Dear ........

I am contacting you regarding my recent application for the position of ......

I have noticed that the position may still be available, so I would like to express my continued interest in this role and in future opportunities within your company.

Please find my application letter and resume attached for your perusal. 

Kind regards, 

Good luck! I really hope this works out for you 🌻

• Like 1

Too early to tell just yet whether my story has a happy ending (although, given the distinctly "eh" vibe I got from the folks I interviewed with today, I'm guessing not), but I recently decided to take a shot at following up on a job about enough time had passed that I assumed I was out of the running.

I sent this basic email to the recruiter who had been my primary contact:

Hi [Name],

I just thought I would take a second to say hello and check in. When you get a moment, I’d love to hear from you about any updates on the [title of job] position we discussed on [date of interview]. I am still very enthusiastic about the possibility of joining the [name of company] team and believe that my commitment to [brief restatement of my relevant skills] make me a great fit for this role.

I would be happy to meet with [name of hiring manager] at his convenience. And please do let me know if there is anything else I can provide to assist you in considering my application.

Thank you again for your time and attention,

The recruiter called me within 20 minutes of my sending the email to schedule an additional interview. 

Could definitely be coincidental, and your situation is different. And, as I said, I still may well not get the job. (I happen to know they are also considering an internal candidate, which doesn't help my chances.) In general, though, I think it couldn't hurt to just check in and restate your interest.

• Like 3