Menu

Apparently KitchenAid stand mixer attachments contain lead 😭

Happy Camper

32 minutes ago, Cecropia said:

If you craft, I know Swarovski crystals post-2012 are very low lead crystals (looked it up, 0.009% lead.  Used to be 30%!).

Yes, thank you!  🙂  I do not like the prices as much, but it is worth it to me.  Any extra chance of lead exposure, I try not to take. Even our pets at the time were drinking the leaded water at our home.  😞  

2 hours ago, Arcadia said:

Was that IRPS? When we attended, so many of us drove down and we have experienced 5.4 and higher earthquakes so are pretty nonchalant about the minor ones. 

No, it was a different conference.  
I used to work with someone that had been in the area of the bad quakes during the world series in CA.   A bunch of coworkers sharing a rented van.   It took several days to get to an airport to leave and they didn't get much sleep because the after-quakes kept setting the hotel's fire alarm off.   Friend had been scared of flying.  When she got in the seat on the plane she realized, "There aren't earthquakes in the air" and fell asleep in relief.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ting Tang said:

Yes, thank you!  🙂  I do not like the prices as much, but it is worth it to me.  Any extra chance of lead exposure, I try not to take. Even our pets at the time were drinking the leaded water at our home.  😞 

I looked into it some more, and it looks like Swarovski craft crystals/rhinestones are not sold much anymore since the company underwent some restructuring in 2021... but there is an alternative: Preciosa Maxima which are labeled as lead-free, seem easily available, and perhaps are a bit cheaper than Swarovski.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, prairiewindmomma said:

My test swabs arrived today. My instant pot, Kitchenaid mixer, all of my cast iron ware and a few toys have all been negative so far. If anything comes up positive, I will report back. 

I am not saying they are lead free, just that the swabs are not detecting it if it is there. That’s good enough for me.

My mixer was negative too.  

• Like 9

6 hours ago, Cecropia said:

I looked into it some more, and it looks like Swarovski craft crystals/rhinestones are not sold much anymore since the company underwent some restructuring in 2021... but there is an alternative: Preciosa Maxima which are labeled as lead-free, seem easily available, and perhaps are a bit cheaper than Swarovski.

Yes, I was sad when they stopped. I use Czech Preciosa, Alora, and Dreamtime. I tell myself they sparkle more than the others, lol. 

On 1/26/2023 at 1:28 PM, prairiewindmomma said:

My test swabs arrived today. My instant pot, Kitchenaid mixer, all of my cast iron ware and a few toys have all been negative so far. If anything comes up positive, I will report back. 

I am not saying they are lead free, just that the swabs are not detecting it if it is there. That’s good enough for me.

I just swab-tested, too, with the same results: no lead detected. Yay!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1