Menu

Assigned Reading - How many books a year?

alysee

My oldest two for next year will be 8th and 6th grade. They love reading. They normally read at least 1 book  week. Since high school is fast approaching I wanted to give them some required Reading. How many books do you recommend for those ages? 

On 1/7/2023 at 1:01 PM, alysee said:

My oldest two for next year will be 8th and 6th grade. They love reading. They normally read at least 1 book  week. Since high school is fast approaching I wanted to give them some required Reading. How many books do you recommend for those ages? 

Not able to answer your question as asked, but... that brings to mind these thoughts 😉 :

Esp. for the 8th grader, you might want to slow down one book every so often and dig deeper into it, through a possible study guide, doing a bit of background research on the author/times and the genre of the work. Also, time for discussion, analysis, and/or writing about that work of literature.

JMO, but late middle school and all through high school is when students not just devour books of interest or to check off books from a list, but to also spend time going deep into some works, plus exploring a variety of types of works -- novels, novellas, short stories, plays, poetry -- and a variety of genres of fiction (like, realistic, fantasy, sci-fi, mystery, historical, etc.), and works from a variety of time periods and variety of cultures around the world.

Short stories and YA (young adult) works  can be a great place to start with practicing digging deeper. Also, if you don't already, you might consider adding to your literature a semi-regular (like, once a week or once a month) "poetry and tea" sort of time to all together sit down with a special snack and read aloud some classic poems and just take time to savor the richness of language and practice the slower pace and meditative thinking that poetry takes in order to appreciate the language, the images, the emotions, and the ideas in the poems.

Just a thought!

We do a certain amount of time per day of assigned reading. I give them a list of books I think they'd like and books that go along with their history studies and books I think they "should" read at that age and they read from that list for an hour per day in 7th and 8th grade. I also have them do a couple of lit guides as @Lori D. suggests. 

ETA: It posted before I was finished.

Edited by Momto6inIN
  • Like 1