Menu

Men's/ Teen's Winter Coats

NorthernBeth

Looking for product recommendations fromanyone living in icy-cold areas.   My 6'1'' tall teen boy really needs a new winter coat but absolutely hates wearing coats.  He generally tries to get by with a fur-lined hoodie which works ok if he is not outside for long.  But we are about to move to a new town where he will be walking to high school and is liable to get a lot colder as temperatures run -30 to -40 Celsius.    He hates the puffer jackets that are so popular right now as he thinks they make him look heavy.   Any one have any coat recommendations for a kid that wants to look "cool" but needs to stay warm?   His current plan is apparently to just freeze to death which I am not super happy about. We bought him a bomber style coat which he initially said was ok, but he feels is a bit short now ( as he runs kind of long in the body.)   I have been internet shopping for awhile now, but am feeling a bit stymied on this one... all the "cool" coats seem to be the puffer jacket style.  All the warm coats look like what my huband would wear ( so extremely not "cool") .   We tried shopping in actual stores near us but selection was extremely limited.  He runs about a  size XL to XXL in coats.   Anyone have any recommendations that their own teen boy considers both fashionable and warm?

• Like 1

I’m not much help for super warm coats, but can I recommend looking at coats that come in a tall cut? The extra 1-2” in the sleeve and trunk really does help it fit better.

I see this style on teens a lot: https://www.carhartt.com/product/102207/full-swing-loose-fit-quick-duck-insulated-jacket---3-warmest-rating?colorCode=undefined_SW  in my non-arctic climate

• Like 1

Oldest ds is 6'1".  He wears two different coats: a thin puffer jacket and a heavier but more tailored one meant for colder weather.  Both are from L.L. Bean, (along with his base layers he wears under).  He's in a Medium Tall there, sometimes a Large Tall.

Youngest ds is a men's xs.  He wears a canvas looking 3-in-1 from Columbia that is surprisingly warm.  It's thick, but doesn't appear so on the outside.  His base layers come from UnderArmour because they fit better right now than L.L. Bean's offerings.

Husband is 6'3".  He wears an XL Tall parka from L.L. Bean, base layers from both them and UnderArmour, and because he's out in the cold more, wears lined trail pants from Eddie Bauer.  They look like regular cargo-ish pants but are water resistant and fleece lined.  (The women's version is great, too.)

Just in case, all the winter shoes in our hoes also come from the above and Merrell. Ds12's are water resistant but look casual. 

• Like 2

my experience is that in places where it's really cold no one ends up caring about looking "heavy" or uncool, even kids. The puffer coats are all slimmer than many alternatives. But ski jackets or snowboarding gear might be more "cool" because they are designed for a younger crowd? You can get really spendy with brands like north face or columbia, but amazon works just as well.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B097GF5LF5/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_image?ie=UTF8&th=1&psc=1

• Like 1

I was also going to recommend a Carhartt style or wool coat.  If it's layered well that can be fine all winter.  I live in the upper midwest and I wear a relatively thin wool coat for daily use, driving, etc because I don't like puffer style when I am driving (I do have one for walking).  

The other thing is consider investing in good socks, hats, mitts, long underwear.  Those items can go a long way if you're layered.

I will say I regularly grab cheap men's wool coats from thrift stores for less than 20 dollars.  If he's unsure, I'd go cheap.  Maybe when he experiences the temp he will swing to a parka for the worst weather.   I will also say, I live near a big ten campus and the young men walk around in shorts and hoodies all winter long.  It's crazy but I swear those metabolisms run different and they're going to do what they're going to do lol.  I do think in the dead of winter when it's below about 10 degrees, no one cares anymore about looking cool.  

Edited by catz
  • Like 2