Menu

FREE set of 8 lectures on Dante's Inferno by Anthony Esolen

https://tanbooks.com/products/programs/catholic-courses/literature/dantes-inferno-a-study-on-part-i-of-the-divine-comedy/

It showed up free yesterday and today.

Caveats:

I have not watched these, but Anthony Esolen was a recommended source to me (by Angelina Stanford).

I don't know anything about this publisher. The publisher is Catholic if that matters. 

Edited by cintinative
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

23 minutes ago, WTM said:

Thank you, @cintinative! How do you plan to use this in your homeschool?

I am trying to read through the Inferno myself first. I got the guidebook from Roman Roads. I was struggling with the introduction to the text where it talked about medieval cosmology (symbolism of the planets, etc. ) so I emailed Angelina Stanford, who recommended Anthony Esolen's lectures and some of the talks by Cumbee (corrected spelling) on the House of Humane Letters site. So I did some googling, and this came up, and it was free . . . 😃

Basically I am very ADD right now about my lit plan. I put this aside and started looking at what novels/short stories I wanted to cover next and plan to pick it up once I finish that.   

Hopefully I can watch the lectures, glean what I think is necessary, and then when we read The Inferno aloud, use the notes to help. Or, if it is really engaging, we can read sections and then watch the pertinent videos.   I have no idea until I start listening to it.  

Quite honestly? I am very intimidated by this work. This is why I subcontracted out most of their lit. The only lit I "teach" is the read alouds, and that is mainly discussion.  I think this work is going to require a lot more stopping to discuss--all of the allusions for example.  

In other words, I have no real plan.  😃

Edited by cintinative
  • Like 2

Okay, I just watched the first one, since I have read through Canto 4. The lecture was decidedly Christian, and I would say it does have a Catholic perspective, but not in a heavy handed way.

I really enjoyed the way he explained the Canto. I think I will have my kids watch these with me.

The jury is truly still out on the Roman Roads book. It is very academic to me.

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...