Menu

~~~~~~~~~~~~ December 2022 Frugalistas ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

mommyoffive

Dh started getting Christmas gifts from coworkers in his office on Monday.  He hadn’t even thought about that and was saying he needed to go buy them all presents (I think there are nine or ten other people in his office).  I suggested that I could make them cinnamon rolls instead, and he agreed.  I just finished two batches, one in the fridge to rise overnight and cook in the morning for his coworkers, the other in the freezer to pull out Christmas Eve to cook for us Christmas morning.  Thank you, Quiver!

• Like 3

Feeling less stressed about money than I have in quite a while.  These last few weeks, dh has made a plan to incentivize himself to pack lunches from home instead of eating out when working all the time, and it has really relieved some pressure on the budget.  I am so grateful and proud of him for making the effort to change his habits in that area.  

Also it looks like dh’s profit-share of the firm is going to come out to more than predicted.  (We have been paying fantom income into the firm all year to buy into the partnership, and are now the proud owners of 3 1/3 % of the business!) So that will help us to finally make some progress on getting the emergency fund back up to more comfortable levels.  I need to check into whether it will put us over the line to lose the kids’ secondary health insurance from the state or not, but if it does, our pediatrician was telling me that we can get the state insurance for ds8 based on his diagnosis vs. income, which would make a huge difference.  

• Like 4

Today is a spendy day!  dh, ds14, and I are going to a 4 day music festival in May and today is the day I'm booking everything.  One plus, our plane tickets are covered entirely by cc points.  Booking the airbnb today and that'll be roughly $700, but we're splitting that with our friends.  They're buying the tickets today but I don't actually know what that'll cost us.  I have a rough estimate but I was dealing with Nutcracker craziness when dh pitched this idea to me. Rough guess is $800, but we'll see.

On another plus side, my chase rewards paid for a good portion of our Puerto Rico airbnb and I just figured that out today!

• Like 3

3 hours ago, hjffkj said:

Today is a spendy day!  dh, ds14, and I are going to a 4 day music festival in May and today is the day I'm booking everything.  One plus, our plane tickets are covered entirely by cc points.  Booking the airbnb today and that'll be roughly $700, but we're splitting that with our friends.  They're buying the tickets today but I don't actually know what that'll cost us.  I have a rough estimate but I was dealing with Nutcracker craziness when dh pitched this idea to me. Rough guess is $800, but we'll see.

On another plus side, my chase rewards paid for a good portion of our Puerto Rico airbnb and I just figured that out today!

Lots of travel and memories to look forward to!! Fun.

• Like 1

I picked up a few items for next year (wrapping supplies mostly). I also got 2 new Serta pillows for $3 each to replace 1 per kid. We trashed the oldest/yuckiest.

I told the kids next year is a WANT NEED WEAR READ year. I went overboard this year because I started collecting in, oh... July? Their gifts are getting more pricey so 4 is plenty.

We are eating out of the pantry and freezer after our date night this weekend. I got a gift card deal on a Korean BBQ place so we will do that.

We usually do Sundays out as a family meal. We have 2 large gift cards, and a big coupon to our usual spot, so that will save a good chunk of change the next few weeks. 

I got a case of cat food 25% off at Petsmart, which was just a lucky find. Cats are stocked for a while.

I also ordered birthday cards for everyone who will need one for the first 3 months of the year from a cute shop on Etsy. They are handmade and basically dollar store prices (1.50ish each). 

Feeling pretty good about things at the moment. We have some large expenses coming up this year but more communication about expectations and decent plans. I always like the week between 25th and 31st. 

Edited by Brittany1116
Typo
  • Like 4

7 minutes ago, Brittany1116 said:

I picked up a few items for next year (wrapping supplies mostly). I also got 2 new Serta pillows for $3 each to replace 1 per kid. We trashed the oldest/yuckiest.

I told the kids next year is a WANT NEED WEAR READ year. I went overboard this year because I started collecting in, oh... July? Their gifts are getting more pricey so 4 is plenty.

We are eating out of the pantry and freezer after our date night this weekend. I got a gift card deal on a Korean BBQ place so we will do that.

We usually do Sundays out as a family meal. We have 2 large gift cards, and a big coupon to our usual spot, so that will save a good chunk of change the next few weeks. 

I got a case of cat food 25% off at Petsmart, which was just a lucky find. Cats are stocked for a while.

I also ordered birthday cards for everyone who will need one for the first 3 months of the year from a cute shop on Etsy. They are handmade and basically dollar store prices (1.50ish each). 

Feeling pretty good about things at the moment. We have some large expenses coming up this year but more communication about expectations and decent plans. I alwaud like the week between 25th and 31st. 

I realized I did that too.  I think I went way overboard in 2020 and 2021 because I was over compensating for pandemic lockdown life.  I cut back this year.  I started later because when I start earlier I just kept buying on all the deals that came out.  The best deals for me were Black Friday and Cyber monday.  Keeping that in mind.  Other than buying giftcards for where my kids buy most of their dance stuff for 20% off.   And a lot of what I buy them is regular things that they need anyhow.  New shoes, pants, dance clothes.     I was worried that the kids would be upset, but it was fine.  A few things to do or play with and new items to wear.   They were happy.  ANd we haven't given them a big family present yet (long story why not).  ANd they haven't had Christmas with extended family either.  Note to self, smaller is better.

• Like 3

Well, we made it through December. I've been MIA in this thread as it's been a crazy hectic month. Oldest had shoulder surgery mid-month, and she has needed a lot of help. I've decided to clean my kitchen more (so no mountains of dirty dishes waiting around/no food splatters) and I'm therefore spending a lot less time on the forums. 

We went out shopping today because kids got some gift cards to spend.

I spent my $100 target giftcard I got for Christmas. I replaced my broken waffle iron and bought a pizza stone. Also bought Middle a swimsuit since she needs one (used a minimal amount of my gift card for it since I came in under budget - the rest will come out of clothing $).  I bought myself a couple of hand soaps at Bath & Body Works with some more Christmas cash.

Returned brother's bath mat that I bought him for Christmas - slightly wrong color. I only paid $2.88 for it because I paid mostly with Kohl's Cash. So, I will give him the $10ish dollars I spent overall for it and I used the returned Kohl's Cash to buy Middle a birthday present (her birthday's not till July, but it was in the Clearance section and it's perfect for her). So, her present is purchased for less than $6, and I'll give bro $10. 

I need to get on the menu planning train as dinner time has been crazy around here lately - Middle has PT 2x a week at 4-5 pm and I work til 5 pm 2x per week. Youngest has tried picking up the slack, but my purchasing groceries and her cooking hasn't gelled very well yet. McD's costs as much as like Applebee's used to now, and it's unhealthy, so I need to figure out some make-ahead things.  

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, historically accurate said:

Well, we made it through December. I've been MIA in this thread as it's been a crazy hectic month. Oldest had shoulder surgery mid-month, and she has needed a lot of help. I've decided to clean my kitchen more (so no mountains of dirty dishes waiting around/no food splatters) and I'm therefore spending a lot less time on the forums. 

We went out shopping today because kids got some gift cards to spend.

I spent my $100 target giftcard I got for Christmas. I replaced my broken waffle iron and bought a pizza stone. Also bought Middle a swimsuit since she needs one (used a minimal amount of my gift card for it since I came in under budget - the rest will come out of clothing $).  I bought myself a couple of hand soaps at Bath & Body Works with some more Christmas cash.

Returned brother's bath mat that I bought him for Christmas - slightly wrong color. I only paid $2.88 for it because I paid mostly with Kohl's Cash. So, I will give him the $10ish dollars I spent overall for it and I used the returned Kohl's Cash to buy Middle a birthday present (her birthday's not till July, but it was in the Clearance section and it's perfect for her). So, her present is purchased for less than $6, and I'll give bro $10. 

I need to get on the menu planning train as dinner time has been crazy around here lately - Middle has PT 2x a week at 4-5 pm and I work til 5 pm 2x per week. Youngest has tried picking up the slack, but my purchasing groceries and her cooking hasn't gelled very well yet. McD's costs as much as like Applebee's used to now, and it's unhealthy, so I need to figure out some make-ahead things.  

Oh no.  Didn't your oldest have knee surgery this year too?  I hope she is healed up soon.

Just now, mommyoffive said:

Oh no.  Didn't your oldest have knee surgery this year too?  I hope she is healed up soon.

Yep (actually 2 knee surgeries), she used a cane for 2 years due to the knee problems, and the jarring ruined her shoulder. She's just been diagnosed with EDS, so we're hoping with the diagnosis we can figure out how to fix her joints. 

• Sad 2

Today way another spendy day. Just out buying things we need for home, bed sheets, and things for our trip, ponchos. And a bunch of other things.

The biggest win of the day. I went to goodwill specifically looking for some summer dresses that will go well with going right over my bathing suit for when we go out to eat or are walking around after being in the water. I found 2 perfect dresses and a tank top for our trip and they charged me kids prices, so $2 a piece. Normally, I would correct the error but the cashier specifically asked if they were kids or women's and when I said women's I think she was too lazy to change it since she already wrung it up as kids. Women's dresses are $10 so that's a big savings.

• Like 2