Menu

WWYD?

My dh is up for a job, Yeah! Here's the ? though, we are eligible for medical insurance through his last job lets him be insured (not cobra) thru March. Our premium must be rcvd by Dec. 31st. If he got the job, it would start Jan 11th and immediately rcve benes including medical that we do not have to pay for.

So we are waiting to pay the premium, but would you not pay it and go 11 days without insurance or pay the premium ($603) and be doubly covered?

Decisions, decisions. Of course it is all moot if he doesn't get the job. Please pray. We need him to get a job.

Your COBRA benefit is retroactive to the date you lost your benefits. If something happens, you can pay the premium and get the coverage you need. However, doublecheck that you can do this with the HR of the original company. I'm pretty sure this is part of your Cobra rights.We have done this with Cobra previously and we planned to only pay the premium if something was needed.

Your COBRA benefit is retroactive to the date you lost your benefits. If something happens, you can pay the premium and get the coverage you need. However, doublecheck that you can do this with the HR of the original company. I'm pretty sure this is part of your Cobra rights.We have done this with Cobra previously and we planned to only pay the premium if something was needed.

The thing is the insurance is from a union. He has been out of work for 1 1/2 yrs. His benes have lasted all this time. They stop in March 2009. I don't know if he would even qualify for COBRA. We haven't used it up til now. Dh is going to call his union rep and ask if he can pay for a shorter period, say the month of Jan, but I'm pretty sure the answer will be no. Either he pays for the quarter or he doesn't have any benes. FWIW, we are leaning towards paying, even though the 600 could really be used elsewhere. I too get paranoid. One trip to the ER could break us. KWIM?

If I had the $600, I would pay it. If he gets the job, then be grateful that you don't have to pay it again. If he doesn't get the job, then be grateful that you paid it and have insurance.

I feel for you though. That kind of inefficiency, which comes from living on earth, drives me absolutely batty!

There is such a thing as short-term medical insurance that is just for situations like this. I would call around to some insurance offices and ask them. At the very least, you could get a major medical policy. Something that has a high deductible, but would cover you in the event of a major medical emergency.

Hey There,

If you were double covered, would that pay for itself when you think of meds and visits and such. For us, I bet it would be pretty close. Also, for short term...it was pretty expensive for a month! We had to do it twice and it was spendy. AND, double pays quickly with the kids...The oldest three are double covered..... If it's dental too, it's a great time to start anything needed like braces:-)

Carrie:-)

(Who wishes our 5th grader hadn't used all her ortho benefits ...for life!)

I would pay it. My dd had to go to the ER shortly after dh started his last job. She had fallen down and was looked at for a concussion. My new issurance had to have proof that she had been covered by insurance over the last year before they would pay for any of the ER bills. Granted, I could probably have fought it and won, but I just showed them the insurance we had had during the last year (which was the same provider).

Melissa

I would pay it. My dd had to go to the ER shortly after dh started his last job. She had fallen down and was looked at for a concussion. My new issurance had to have proof that she had been covered by insurance over the last year before they would pay for any of the ER bills. Granted, I could probably have fought it and won, but I just showed them the insurance we had had during the last year (which was the same provider).

Melissa

THIS is what I would worry about. That continuous coverage vs. preexisting condition thing can be devastating. I'd pay and be safe.