Menu

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ November 2022 Frugalistas ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

mommyoffive

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A number of tv streaming services have good deals on this weekend.  We got peacock tv for 99 cents per month for the year.  Disney is raising their rates and adding commercials for Disney plus in a few weeks, but we were able to get it ad-free and cheaper for the next year by getting Hulu’s Black Friday deal for $1.99 per month with the Disney plus add-on through them for $2.99, so $4.98 per month total.  (It has been $7.99 but is going up to $10.99 without ads.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mommyoffive said:

@cjzimmer1 how did the food shopping budget go?

Just got back from my last trip (I shop after my kids' gym class on Tuesdays).  Got everything we needed to get through the month (with the cash money) and even was able to splurge on a crumble cookie as they have my favorite flavor this week.  I believe I even have enough veggies to get me through to next shopping day.  I ended up with about $225 left in virtual grocery budget since the beef came in less but between the dog expenses and car issues that cropped up yesterday (weird lights came on and a message saying there was a problem with the emergency brake so it wouldn't start, however you also couldn't turn the vehicle off.  Tried to talk to the service department as to how to proceed but 24 hours later they still haven't responded and now the battery is dead.  So we have a dead car with some issue stuck in the garage.  We do have towing on our insurance so hopefully that will cover getting it to the dealership whenever they get around to letting us make an appointment) we've more than spent that money already.

So yeah, I think I'm going to have another month on really strict budget!  The one good part is that I already have all the meat we need (and of course that usually adds up the fastest) so less spending doesn't hurt as bad.  Just really have to control the impulse purchases.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, cjzimmer1 said:

Just got back from my last trip (I shop after my kids' gym class on Tuesdays).  Got everything we needed to get through the month (with the cash money) and even was able to splurge on a crumble cookie as they have my favorite flavor this week.  I believe I even have enough veggies to get me through to next shopping day.  I ended up with about $225 left in virtual grocery budget since the beef came in less but between the dog expenses and car issues that cropped up yesterday (weird lights came on and a message saying there was a problem with the emergency brake so it wouldn't start, however you also couldn't turn the vehicle off.  Tried to talk to the service department as to how to proceed but 24 hours later they still haven't responded and now the battery is dead.  So we have a dead car with some issue stuck in the garage.  We do have towing on our insurance so hopefully that will cover getting it to the dealership whenever they get around to letting us make an appointment) we've more than spent that money already.

So yeah, I think I'm going to have another month on really strict budget!  The one good part is that I already have all the meat we need (and of course that usually adds up the fastest) so less spending doesn't hurt as bad.  Just really have to control the impulse purchases.

Yay for doing awesome on the budget challenge.  Enjoy your cookies.

I am sorry about your car, I hope it can get fixed and it doesn't cost a ton.

Pantry moths got into my kitchen.  I went through everything and cleaned out the cupboards and threw things out.  Unfortunately they ruined some large bags of almonds, peanuts, lentils, and rice.  On the up side, my cupboards are now clean and organized.  I ordered some large jars (using some Bing rewards gift cards) to better organize my baking supplies in airtight, bug-proof containers.

• Sad 3

I think we’re finally done with the constant doctors’ appointments (knock on wood).  This past month ds has been to the ER three times and we’ve been back and forth to the big hospital in the city at least once a week.  They put him on a new medication to try to get him to eat more, as his weight has been a struggle ever since his diagnosis and then he lost weight this month.  Last week the oncologist said that if he wasn’t doing better by next week, she is going to pull him off the chemo until he recovers.  But this week he is finally doing better!  Still worn out and shaky and emotional, but so much better.  

• Sad 2

9 minutes ago, Condessa said:

I think we’re finally done with the constant doctors’ appointments (knock on wood).  This past month ds has been to the ER three times and we’ve been back and forth to the big hospital in the city at least once a week.  They put him on a new medication to try to get him to eat more, as his weight has been a struggle ever since his diagnosis and then he lost weight this month.  Last week the oncologist said that if he wasn’t doing better by next week, she is going to pull him off the chemo until he recovers.  But this week he is finally doing better!  Still worn out and shaky and emotional, but so much better.  

Aww poor guy.  I am so glad he is doing better.  Sending lots of good thoughts to him.

20 minutes ago, Condessa said:

Pantry moths got into my kitchen.  I went through everything and cleaned out the cupboards and threw things out.  Unfortunately they ruined some large bags of almonds, peanuts, lentils, and rice.  On the up side, my cupboards are now clean and organized.  I ordered some large jars (using some Bing rewards gift cards) to better organize my baking supplies in airtight, bug-proof containers.

Oh man that sucks!

41 minutes ago, Condessa said:

Poor you guys. That must be so incredibly tough