Menu

Book a Week 2022 - BW43: 52 Books Bingo - Myths, Monsters, and Imagination

Robin M

Happy Sunday! We are continuing our October Spooktacular with the next 52 books category - Myths, Monsters, and Imagination. 

Monsters in Entertainment: Obsession or Projection?

Eight creepiest mythical creatures from around the world

Terrifying monsters in literature

Samhain Reading List: 13 Frightening Works of Fiction for Celebrating Halloween’s Celtic Roots

Caspar Henderson: rereading The Book of Imaginary Beings by Jorge Luis Borges

"The Book of Imaginary Beings tosses stone after stone into the subterranean caverns of the reader's mind. It takes us along passageways and turns corners to reveal strange shapes and images, some of which may precede and outlast anything conceived by man. If we are attentive, the reverberations can help us trace the dimensions of those spaces. We glimpse chinks of light and are then engulfed in sudden dazzling floods of it." Casper Henderson, The Guardian. 

Getty's An Introduction to the Bestiary, Book of Beasts in the Medieval World

Let's not forget my son's favorite - Godzilla and all the monsters he's fought over the years from Mothra to King Kong. Toho's Kingdom of the Monsterverse and all things Godzilla. 

And our A to Z and Back Again letter and word of the week are J and Juggernaut. 

Link to Book Week 42

Visit  52 Books in 52 Weeks where you can find all the information on the annual, mini, and perpetual challenges.

Edited by Robin M
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I've been thoroughly enjoying M.L. Buchman's Miranda Chase series about an autistic NTSB agent and her cohorts.  I caught up with the series just in the time for book #11 Skibird which is being released tuesday.

"Those who work there call Antarctica “The Ice.” A secret Russian cargo jet crashes into a crevasse near an Australian Station. The Aussies call in the top air-crash investigators on the planet.

The best of them all, Miranda Chase, must face the Russians, Chinese, and use her own autistic abilities to keep her team alive. As the battle spreads across The Ice, are even her incredible skills enough?

Or will they all be buried in the frozen wasteland?"

And excited for the new release of Nalini Singh's 15th book in the Guild Hunter series "Archangel's Resurrection on the 25th as well. 

Tonight our family movie choice was Replicas with Keenu Reeves. It was quite intense as he is a neuroscientists and tries to clone his family when they die in an accident. 

Edited by Robin M
  • Like 4

• Robin M changed the title to Book a Week 2022 - BW43: 52 Books Bingo - Myths, Monsters, and Imagination

I wanted to share that we’ll be in Miami next week. Just visiting for a week. We haven’t left the Caribbean in over three years. I can’t wait to be inside a Costco, Target, etc. I can’t wait to be in a developed country. I really can't wait to browse in a bookstore.

• Like 7

My main book for last week was a newish fictional book by Sarah McCoy titled Mustique Island and it was all about Mustique back in the 70’s.  Princess Margaret, the Glenconnors and all the things I read about in Anne Glenconnor’s book Lady in Waiting.https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/52105595-lady-in-waiting  The main character of the book was a fictional Texan who found her way to building a house on the Island after divorcing her wealthy British Husband.  It stuck pretty close to the storyline from Lady in Waiting and was enjoyable.  I probably didn’t need to read both!       https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/58842704-mustique-island  

I am still filling in my bookchains which is a fun way of reading books that would otherwise never make it into my world.  I read a fun contemporary romance set in Scotland by Donna Hoffman (new author for me) which had a version of a The Bachelor type show being filmed in a Scottish Castle.  Light and fun, the title is The Great Scot.  After that I get to read the new Donna Andrews for that book chain.

I am still listening to Rebecca Zanetti books but need to take a break and listen to some other books that I have checked out before they are returned.

• Like 4

Some bookish posts ~

Poetry All Year

https://www.thirdplacebooks.com/blog/poetry-all-year

Read Aloud Favorites!

https://www.thirdplacebooks.com/blog/read-aloud-favorites

Cozy Mysteries to Read After Binging Only Murders in the Building

https://www.thirdplacebooks.com/blog/cozy-mysteries-read-after-binging-only-murders-building

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

20 hours ago, Negin said:

I've been reading this one through the year too, and highly recommend it. While I might not agree with everything, it's a thought-provoking, positive read, with a quote from the original Stoics heading up the discussion for the day. It's led to good chats with my kids, too. The over-arching idea which is you might not be able to change much, but you can change your own perspective on something, is a good one. I liked one of the most recent discussions, which was saying - you can't make yourself a taller person or a younger person or whatever, but you can work on being a truthful person, and that's a worthwhile thing. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, bookbard said:

I've been reading this one through the year too, and highly recommend it. 

You said it all so perfectly. Like you, I don't agree with everything, a rarity on the best of days anyway, but I really love your last sentence, the recent entry. 

• Like 4

At some point I acquired the first three books in a series titled The Librarians Vampire Assistant and am now binging.  They are reminiscent of Fred the Vampire Accountant but not quite as good.  The first book is currently free on Kindle……https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/38336890-the-librarian-s-vampire-assistant

Who killed Michael Vanderhorst’s maker? It’s a darn good question. But when the trail brings Michael to hellishly sunny Phoenix, Arizona, his biggest problem soon becomes a cute little librarian he can’t seem to stay away from. He’s never met a bigger danger magnet! Even her book cart has it out for her. And is that the drug cartel following her around, too? “Dear God, woman! What have you gotten yourself into?”

Things go from bad to worse when local vampires won’t play nice.

Can this four-hundred-year-old vampire keep his librarian safe and himself out of hot water? Can he bring his maker’s killer to justice? Yesterday, he would’ve said yes. But yesterday, he didn’t have a strange connection with a librarian. Yesterday, people weren’t trying to kill her.

• Like 3

I just finished Nalini Singh’s Archangel’s Resurrection about Zanaya and Alexander, two Archangels whose love affair lasted eons so it covered vast periods of time. Many, but not all of the other characters made appearances. It was different with a lot more telling than showing and angst over the relationship.  Not one I’d be eager to reread over and over again,  but good nonetheless.

• Like 2

I've read several books over the week.

I enjoyed Legends & Lattes: A Novel of High Fantasy and Low Stakes by Travis Baldree which could be described as a cozy fantasy with a hint of romance and the creation of a family of friends.

"After a lifetime of bounties and bloodshed, Viv is hanging up her sword for the last time.

The battle-weary orc aims to start fresh, opening the first ever coffee shop in the city of Thune. But old and new rivals stand in the way of success — not to mention the fact that no one has the faintest idea what coffee actually is.

If Viv wants to put the blade behind her and make her plans a reality, she won't be able to go it alone.

But the true rewards of the uncharted path are the travelers you meet along the way. And whether drawn together by ancient magic, flaky pastry, or a freshly brewed cup, they may become partners, family, and something deeper than she ever could have dreamed."

Also enjoyed Date Night on Union Station (EarthCent Ambassador Book 1) by E. M. Foner which was a fun and slightly silly science fiction novel.

"Kelly Frank is EarthCent's top diplomat on Union Station, but her job description has always been a bit vague. The pay is horrible and she's in hock up to her ears for her furniture, which is likely to end up in a corridor because she's behind on rent for her room. Sometimes she has to wonder if the career she has put ahead of her personal life for fifteen years is worth it.

When Kelly receives a gift subscription to the dating service that's rumored to be powered by the same benevolent artificial intelligence that runs the huge station, she decides to swallow her pride and give it a shot. But as her dates go from bad to worse, she can only hope that the supposedly omniscient AI is planning a happy ending."

Also enjoyed the contemporary romance Digging Deep by Jay Hogan which  is set in New Zealand and features a male midwife and a detective. I learned a lot about Crohn's Disease while reading this. Be aware, too, that sad events happen with one delivery. (Adult content) Free to kindle readers.

"Drake Park has a complicated life. As a gay male midwife, he’s used to raising eyebrows. Add Crohn’s Disease and things get interesting—or not, considering the sad state of his love life. Experience has taught Drake that most men are fair weather sailors when it comes to handling his condition—gone for dust when things get rough. Staying healthy is a fulltime job without adding in any heartbreak, so a little loneliness is a small price to pay. If he says it often enough he might even believe it. One thing for sure, the cop who arrested him isn’t about to change that.

Caleb Ashton does not have a complicated life. A senior detective with the Whangarei Police Department, he likes his job and is good at it. He works hard and plays hard, happy to enjoy as many men as he can while he’s still young enough—or at least he was. These days he feels adrift for the first time in his life, and the only thing sparking his interest—a certain prickly young midwife.

But can Drake find enough faith to risk opening his heart again? And does Caleb have what it takes to cope with the challenges Drake’s condition presents?"

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 1