Menu

Recommendation - kitchen canisters

sheryl

On 10/14/2022 at 9:48 PM, gardenmom5 said:

I have old Tupperware big round canisters.  A big one, and two smaller ones.  The smaller ones will each hold more than 5lbs of sugar. (the taller one is the same height as both shorter ones.)  They are in a cabinet with a pull-out tray.  I inherited them from my mother and grandmother.  I want enough diameter for when I'm measuring dry goods. (I don't like the narrow rectangular stuff, though I have several in another cupboard for smaller stuff, like cocoa powder and powdered sugar.)

I have some of the old modular mates and they work well.  But they are plastic.

• Like 1

On 10/15/2022 at 7:32 AM, TechWife said:

I really like everything about my oxo pop tops: gasket seal, easy close& open, easy to clean, good shape for stacking and otherwise arranging in cabinets. I’d take a picture of my cabinet, but I’m not at home & won’t be for several days. 

I discovered this weekend that the oxo pop tops have scoops that attach to the lid! https://www.amazon.com/OXO-Grips-Container-Accessories-3-Piece/dp/B07V4395FQ/ref=sr_1_2?crid=CIC9VOMZONY6&keywords=OXO+pop+top+scoop&qid=1666030736&qu=eyJxc2MiOiIwLjAwIiwicXNhIjoiMC4wMCIsInFzcCI6IjAuMDAifQ%3D%3D&s=home-garden&sprefix=oxo+pop+top+scoop%2Cgarden%2C169&sr=1-2

• Like 1

I came to post about Mason jars and it looks like I am not their only fan!

In my area Walmart and online prices fluxuate drastically for them. There are times mason jars are not in stock anywhere locally and we get those insane prices. We keep and eye open and ask friends and family to tell us when they see any. When we see them we buy them. 

I don't have the pretty labels and my handwriting is horrible. I have been using blue painters tape on mine. It works. Ugly. But it works.

I have two cabinets for them. One has mason jars of various sizes that have dried fruit, nuts, salad toppings, and herbal tea ingredients. Another has dried beans, rice, oatmeal and one that we use to mix boxed granola with more dried fruit and nuts.

I don't bother storing the flour in a container, it isn't worth the effort for me. I use about 5lbs of flour of week. I make enough dough for 8 loaves of bread and put the rest in a zip lock bag in the fridge to be used for biscuits, pancakes, cookies, pie crust, or whatever else. 

• Thanks 1