Menu

WWYD colonoscopy and antibiotic timing and gut health

sbgrace

I've been prescribed 7 days of doxycycline for a likely long-standing, asymptomatic infection. I do not think exactly when I start this antibotic matters a lot, within reason. 

A household member has chronic c-diff. So I generally try to avoid antibiotics as much as possible for everyone here, but I can't avoid this one. I will use Florastor while taking it.

I have a colonoscopy scheduled 17 days from tomorrow. I have a call into the GI for his opinion on this, but I'm not sure he'll have one and his office already didn't return my call on Friday. 

WWYD:

-Take antibiotic this week (with florastor) and then try to probiotic build my gut the week leading up the colonoscopy prep?

-Postpone the antibiotic until after the colonoscopy? How long? 

-Do you think timing doesn't matter either way?

I think timing matters, but I’m not sure which would be better. Depends how urgent the colonoscopy. I know they can be hard to schedule—any chance they’d move it back another two weeks so you would have a month to get your gut back in order after antibiotics. Definitely hit the florastor hard, not just one a day, but also I’m pretty sure doxycycline is one of the antibiotics less likely to cause c diff. If you didn’t live with someone colonized, I wouldn’t be so concerned about it with that antibiotic.

1 hour ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

The colonoscopy is looking for polyps or cancer. I don’t think that your gut biome will affect that. 

Doing the complete clean out required before hand is a major disruption to the gut biome, so I think it’s a reasonable concern for someone consistently exposed to c diff. 

eta: Oh, I think I understand what you were saying now. I think you were looking at the concern from the opposite direction I am. I am reading it as she’s concerned about creating the conditions likely to be friendly to c diff, while you were thinking she was worried the antibiotic would affect the results of her colonoscopy. I don’t think the latter would be the case at all, but I think it’s not unreasonable for her to take precautions against the former.

Edited by KSera
  • Like 1