Menu

Book a Week 2022 - BW37: Time for a mini challenge

Robin M

Happy Sunday!  Did you know September is Self Improvement month, National Piano Month, Classical Music Month, Hispanic Heritage Month, National Sewing Month, Fall Hat Month, and Happy Cat Month. Lots to read and learn about. Today we remember 9/11 and all those who died, and everyone who came together to help. And take a moment to think about or pray for peace and strength for the family of Queen Elizabeth as they mourn the death of their mother. 

It's been a while since we've had a Judge a Book by the Cover or Pick a Random Book mini challenge and I'm in the mood for a book store adventure.  How about you? 

Your mission, should you choose to accept it:  

Judge a book based on its cover:  The hardest part will be not reading the synopsis on the back or the inside flap. Yeah, I know. It’s really hard.  When you see the cover, keep in mind what captured your attention and tell us about it. What you thought the book was going to be about? When you read it, let us know if you were you close or no cigar? 

Or

Pick a Random Book: Choose a random book based on its position on the shelf.  To choose a book: decide in advance which genre you are going to choose. Or leave it up to chance - pick a direction, pick an aisle.  Choose a number between 1 and 7 as there are about seven sections in each aisle. Decide which shelf you are going to choose from - top, 2nd, 3rd, fourth, or bottom shelf. Pick one number between 1 and 30 as I'm assuming there are about 30 books to a shelf. Use these numbers and count over a certain number of sections in the aisle, pick a shelf, and count to the chosen number and that's the book you'll get.

That's how I discovered Anne Bishop's Written in Red a few years back. I chose the science fiction/fantasy aisle, counted over 3 sections, then down 2 shelves and looked for the 15th book on the shelf.

Take a trip to the book store or the library in search of a new book. Or if you are short on fund, play along utilizing your home shelves. You can even play along online.  

Have fun exploring!

Our A to Z and Back Again Letter and Word of the week are P and Procedural. 

Link to Book Week 36

Visit  52 Books in 52 Weeks where you can find all the information on the annual, mini, and perpetual challenges.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I finished my first read of Faith Hunter's Final Heir and now need to read it again, much slower.  Oh my goodness, don't know where to start. So much happens and Jane is really tested, as are all her friends.  Leaves the door open a little bit I think for more possibly. Who knows,

Read Ilona Andrews Blood Heir in which Julie has taken on a new name and new look and kicks butt in Atlanta. Don't know how she got away with Kate or Curran not finding out she was there since everyone else seemed to know. 

Currently reading J.D. Robb's #55 book in her In Death series - Desperation in Death.

"New York, 2061: The place called the Pleasure Academy is a living nightmare where abducted girls are trapped, trained for a life of abject service while their souls are slowly but surely destroyed. Dorian, a thirteen-year-old runaway who’d been imprisoned there, might never have made it out if not for her fellow inmate Mina, who’d hatched the escape plan. Mina was the more daring of the two—but they’d been equally desperate.

Unfortunately, they didn’t get away fast enough. Now Dorian is injured, terrified, and wandering the streets of New York, and Mina lies dead near the waterfront while Lt. Eve Dallas looks over the scene.

Mina’s expensive, elegant clothes and beauty products convince Dallas that she was being groomed, literally and figuratively, for sex trafficking—and that whoever is investing in this high-overhead operation expects windfall profits. Her billionaire husband, Roarke, may be able to help, considering his ties to the city’s ultra-rich. But Roarke is also worried about the effect this case is having on Dallas, as it brings a rage to the surface she can barely control. No matter what, she must keep her head clear--because above all, she is desperate for justice and to take down those who prey on and torment the innocent."

• Like 4

I finished Secret of the Andes yesterday.

I am still in the middle of a bunch of books.  My most recent book purchase has been two about self-help re mental health:  Un-F--- Your Brain and Un-F--- your boundaries.  The latter was suggested on WTM in relation to something I had posted recently.  So far I'm still in the introductory parts of both of them.  I really don't love the writing style, but I'm willing to give them a chance to see if they have any good advice.  If so, I may or may not share them with my kid(s).

Back to kid classics, is Peter Pan worth reading just so I know what it's like?  It doesn't seem like my type of story, but is it something every literate person should have read?  Or should I just box it up and give it to my nieces?  (We've seen the Broadway play so we aren't completely ignorant of it.)

I should probably go back and finish Crash-Proof your Kids also.

• Like 5

Some bookish posts ~

A DEEP DIVE INTO THE HISTORY OF BIBLIOMYSTERIES

https://crimereads.com/a-deep-dive-into-the-history-of-bibliomysteries/

DEANNA RAYBOURN: ON WRITERS AND (CHARACTERS)
OF A CERTAIN AGE

https://crimereads.com/deanna-raybourn-on-writers-and-characters-of-a-certain-age/

This is a Good Book Thursday, September 1, 2022

https://arghink.com/2022/09/this-is-a-good-book-thursday-september-1-2022/

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Thank you for the thread, Robin.

Im still not getting much reading done but did finish Desparation in Death this morning.  It was great!  I am trying to catch up on the alphabet backwards and am still on T.  Hoping to make progress this week!

• Like 4

My T is done!  I read one of my Golden Age mysteries, Death in the Tunnel, that I have been hoarding by Miles Burton who also wrote one of my favorites from that era (The Secret of High Eldersham). This one started with a fascinating almost locked room murder and went on and on in great detail which led me to giving it a 4* instead of a 5*.

The murder of a successful business man took place in the first class compartment on a train while it was inside a railway tunnel that took roughly 5 minutes to pass through.  On the evening of the “suicide looking murder” a mysterious red light that changed to green appear in the center of the tunnel causing the train to slow down quickly before regaining speed.  The corridor door was locked when the body was discover but the door leading outside was not.  I enjoyed the how the did it greatly!

• Like 3

I finished Desperation in Death and it has all the feels. Tough subject about sex trafficking especially with the viewpoint of the young girls. Of course brings back memories from the past, not only for Eve but Mavis as well. Totally captured my attention and couldn't put it down once I started. 

Bouncing between Final Heir and delving back into Devon Monk's Ordinary Series and currently on Rocks, Papers, Scissors

• Like 5

Last night I finishedString Theory by Ashlyn Kane and Morgan James; I quite enjoyed this contemporary romance. (Adult content)

"For Jax Hall, all-but-dissertation in mathematics, slinging drinks and serenading patrons at a piano bar is the perfect remedy for months of pandemic anxiety. He doesn’t expect to end up improvising on stage with pop violinist Aria Darvish, but the attraction that sparks between them? That’s a mathematical certainty. If he can get Ari to act on it, even better. Ari hasn’t written a note, and his album deadline is looming. Then he meets Jax, and suddenly he can’t stop the music. But Ari doesn’t know how to interpret Jax’s flirting—is making him a drink called Sex with the Bartender a serious overture? Jax jumps in with both feet, the only way he knows how. Ari is wonderful, and Jax loves having a partner who’s on the same page. But Ari’s struggles with his parents’ expectations, and Jax’s with the wounds of his past, threaten to unbalance an otherwise perfect equation. Can they prove their double act has merit, or does it only work in theory?"

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 3

I finished Faith Hunter's Final Heir. I did my usual read it once, fast, fast, fast on the ipad, then turn around and read it again, slow, slow, slow on paperback. It's not a story that's meant to be read fast because it is so complex and action packed. It's the last book of the series, yet it was a great finale and answered so much. There are so many moments. Moments that made me sad, moments that were so powerful. Moments that were amusing or scary. I don't want to give too much away for those who haven't read yet, so... Jane and Beast, the I/We. Jane taking charge and also learning to let go and let others handle things. Leo and how he found a way to let Jane know what needed to be known. Angie, such a little girl but so powerful. Jane's relationship with the witches. The big bad who is trying to take over and how everyone teams up to fight him. I'm sad to see it end, but happy I can read the series over and over.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Robin M said:

I finished Faith Hunter's Final Heir. I did my usual read it once, fast, fast, fast on the ipad, then turn around and read it again, slow, slow, slow on paperback. It's not a story that's meant to be read fast because it is so complex and action packed. It's the last book of the series, yet it was a great finale and answered so much. There are so many moments. Moments that made me sad, moments that were so powerful. Moments that were amusing or scary. I don't want to give too much away for those who haven't read yet, so... Jane and Beast, the I/We. Jane taking charge and also learning to let go and let others handle things. Leo and how he found a way to let Jane know what needed to be known. Angie, such a little girl but so powerful. Jane's relationship with the witches. The big bad who is trying to take over and how everyone teams up to fight him. I'm sad to see it end, but happy I can read the series over and over.

I didn’t know it was going to be the last book!  I’m on the hold’s list and looking forward to that and what feels like a hundred other books.  😉😂. I will hopefully finish Patricia Briggs Soul Taker today and move on to the new Ilona Andrews with an R in the title.  Trying to get my alphabet caught up!

• Like 3

Well, I may have found the book of the year (for me). Babel, by R F Kuang, is a fantasy book set in early 1800s Oxford. Basically, the British scour the empire for bilingual students who are fluent in multiple languages, as this ability to translate is how magic works. This is a book about colonisation, slavery, and the lure of academia - and the subtitle is "or the necessity of violence", so warning, it doesn't have a happy ending. But it's fantastic getting there, especially if you love language. It's almost a companion to Gaudy Night, in that they both explore the value of an academic life. I really enjoyed this book and was very sad when it ended. 

• Like 5

Next week, my local book group will be meeting to discuss Braiding Sweetgrass: Indigenous Wisdom, Scientific Knowledge and the Teachings of Plants by Robin Wall Kimmerer which I finished today. This was a thought provoking read that was both lovely and saddening. I look forward to the discussion.

"Drawing on her life as an indigenous scientist, and as a woman, Kimmerer shows how other living beings—asters and goldenrod, strawberries and squash, salamanders, algae, and sweetgrass—offer us gifts and lessons, even if we've forgotten how to hear their voices. In reflections that range from the creation of Turtle Island to the forces that threaten its flourishing today, she circles toward a central argument: that the awakening of ecological consciousness requires the acknowledgment and celebration of our reciprocal relationship with the rest of the living world. For only when we can hear the languages of other beings will we be capable of understanding the generosity of the earth, and learn to give our own gifts in return."

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 4