Menu

We may need to relocate. What's it like in your part of the country?

Virginia is...... varied...

In the mountains it can get cold, even in the summer time. The Tidewater region is supposed to be temperate, but the summers can be miserably humid. The ocean coast line is beautiful and relatively temperate. Central VA is beautiful, with the mountains on one side, deep in the foot hills, sigh. Northern VA is more businessy and they get snow nearly every winter. The south-western tip is also beautiful and steeped in its own culture. The Chesapeake Bay area is really nice too. I love Reedville and the surrounding areas for their rural appeal.

You have quick acess to the mountains and the beach. The weather is pretty mild. In the upper 80' and mid 90's during the summer (we do get some 100 weather in August). The falls and springs are mild. In the mid 60's to low 70's. The winter is short. We get some cold weather usually starting in January and ending in February. Our winters are generally around low to mid 40's. The state is pretty green all over the place. We can get hurricanes but not very strong ones and if you live in land they are usually pretty much dissipated by the time they get here. I love about an hour and a half from the beach.

I think the big thing you need to look for right now is not the climate but the job market. Where I live it's hard to find a job because we have a military post and all the soldiers coming out of the army tend to get the jobs. Charlotte and Raleigh have good job markets. Below the national average. I think that's because they are still growing.

I'm a couple of hours west of Soph the Vet and it's still -11 here. The back window on my van blew out last night becasue of the wind!!!Other than the weather:) SD has a fairly stable economy, little crime and still intact culture, lots of churches, good parks and schools.

What is "Soph the Vet"?

"Thankful wife to analytical man"- the poster directly above me on this thread:001_smile:

:lol:Boy am I silly! I'm thinking too hard about this. I was racking my brain trying to figure out what city you meant and didn't even see the pp's name. Thanks!

Weather-wise Las Vegas is great in the winter and horrible in the summer. We have 3 months of too-hot weather.

Economy-wise we're doing okay as a city, all things considered. Gaming and hotel industry is big as is construction.

Homeschooling is easy with a one time notification to homeschool. There are lots of Christian based homeschooling groups.

We have abundant activities available through city and county programs which are very cheap.

The scenery is beautiful and if you love to hike, this is a great place to live. We have ghost towns to explore and hidden creeks and water falls to discover. We're close to California, Arizona and Utah.

Lots of people have the image of Vegas as being sin-city but really I haven't been to the strip in years! The rest of the city is just a city.

FYI, last I heard we had more churches per capita than any other large city.

HTH

Central Texas is wonderful! Our economy is doing well. My husband's employer is looking to hire some people in the computer field. There is also a big hospital here (relatively speaking) that is hiring, so all in all are area is growing.

Our grass is still green, but that will turn brown in a couple of weeks with the up and down temps. It was 77 on Sat., today is 32, and by Wed. it will be 70 again. Cold and flu season lasts about 6-8 weeks here thanks to our weather lol.

If you are looking for a 3/2 in the 'suburbs' let me know we will be selling to get a bigger house right after Christmas LOL! :D

Wisconsin is beautiful and not generally as FRIGID as it is right now!

The homeschool laws here are very good. There is no testing and record-keeping is not required. You must submit a yearly "intent to homeschool" form, but there is no oversight. No one can demand your records, curriculum, plans or anything. No one can rescind your right to homeschool.