Menu

My dd says her mind "is full"...

She is 11 yo. I ask her what that means and she says she gets too many thoughts and ideas in her head. We'll be trying to do math and you can tell she's thinking about other things too. Today she asked me, in the middle of math, "What is a prom?". She's always thinking about something. I'm like that too, but I can turn it off when needed. Any input or advice in helping her appreciated?

Thanks,

Lisa

She is 11 yo. I ask her what that means and she says she gets too many thoughts and ideas in her head. We'll be trying to do math and you can tell she's thinking about other things too. Today she asked me, in the middle of math, "What is a prom?". She's always thinking about something. I'm like that too, but I can turn it off when needed. Any input or advice in helping her appreciated?

Thanks,

Lisa

I have this problem.

My 10yo has this problem.

My father and my mother have this problem.

Some people call it ADD. My dh says, "Y'all think too much!"

Sorry, no help.

I think a lot too, and I most definately do NOT have ADD. Is there nothing else?

I was just saying what some people call it. When the thoughts come so fast and furious you can't think about what you *need* to think about, it can be a problem. When you can't "shut your brain off" in the middle of the night so you can sleep, it *can* be a problem.

My problem is more that I need more than one thing going at a time, or my brain doesn't work. This is why I can answer the phone, type here, and read something else all together!

I think it is a *good* thing sometimes!

Can she keep a running list? The idea is NOT to stop and stare into space thinking of things to put on the list. Rather, as thoughts distract you from the task at hand (REALLY distract), to just jot down a word or phrase. Then come back to that list at a more appropriate time.

It might be kinda fun to keep a little notebook a la Harriet the Spy, though what I am suggesting is not a diary but rather a very succinct list.

Thanks,

Lisa

Lisa,

That is pretty funny from this side of the fence. :D

I am using a speech therapy program that begins by teaching the child to focus on sounds, which might help. She needs to realize that just because a thought pops into her head, doesn't mean she has to entertain that thought, that she can and need to learn to dismiss them and re-focus her attention on math.

In the program they tell you to have two sounds going on in the room at once. Then have the child try to focus on one and tune out the other. Then have them switch sounds. After that try making one louder than the other and continue to have the child change focus. If she gets that she can control what has her attention with sounds, she might get how to transfer it to thoughts as well.

Heather

He definitely DOES have raging ADHD, as does DH. DS often tells me he just cannot pay attention, as he has so many thoughts going on in his head it's impossible to focus on just one.

But DS also has other clear indicators of ADHD, such as complete lack of understanding consequences, no impulse control, immaturity, problems with social situations, not getting cause/effect, little ability to plan or organize his time, constant forgetfulness, and constant movement/talking.

Michelle T

He definitely DOES have raging ADHD, as does DH. DS often tells me he just cannot pay attention, as he has so many thoughts going on in his head it's impossible to focus on just one.

But DS also has other clear indicators of ADHD, such as complete lack of understanding consequences, no impulse control, immaturity, problems with social situations, not getting cause/effect, little ability to plan or organize his time, constant forgetfulness, and constant movement/talking.

Michelle T

My dd has many of these symptoms. I never considered her for ADD though. She is not hyperactive at all. This is something new to think about.

Thank you for everyone's thoughts. I guess it would be funny if it wasn't an everyday thing.

Lisa

My dd has many of these symptoms. I never considered her for ADD though. She is not hyperactive at all. This is something new to think about.

Thank you for everyone's thoughts. I guess it would be funny if it wasn't an everyday thing.

Lisa

Many people with ADD, especially girls, are not hyperactive, but inattentive-type ADD. Daydreamers, not bouncing off the walls. But the other signs of ADD are the same.

Michelle T

My dd has many of these symptoms. I never considered her for ADD though. She is not hyperactive at all.

In girls, ADHD is often (though not always) the 'inattentive type' as opposed to the hyperactive type. The current name is still ADHD though....there is no "ADD" anymore.

:)

K

Both of my kids do this. My oldest most definitely has ADHD and his thoughts go a mile a minute. My youngest definitely does NOT have ADD or ADHD. His issue is boredom. Whatever he is thinking about is much more interesting to him than math facts or writing sentences. He is 5, though, and this is probably the reason more than anything (inmaturity).